Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Hormone imbalances
bobby75703 posted:
We all know hormones play a huge role in maintaining a lean body. Its one of the contributing reasons why as we get older, it gets tougher and tougher to keep the extra fat of the mid section.

The steroid hormone balance of our teenage years fade thru the decades and on goes the weight. No big surprise.

The first thing most people think about is thyroid hormone, and rightfully so as hypothyroidism is very common, and induces weight gain.

But I'm about to share something else with you that could be interfering with efforts to lose weight, and its not food or exercise.

I'm talking about products we bring into our homes daily that are hormone disruptors. The two most wicked that come to mind are Fabric softener and plug-in air fresheners. Inhalation of the toxic chemicals in these products isn't exactly the picture of health.

We inhale 3000 to 6000 gallons of air each day. It all enters the blood stream just like food does. These chemicals can have an impact on metabolism, and several are carcinogens.

I visited a home where they had a plug-in air freshener in every room. It was overpowering. When I stepped outside into the yard, I could still smell the air "freshener" leaking out the house within 6 feet of the house's closed windows. That's how strong it was. Knowing what chemicals were in the product, I predicted a cancer diagnoses in that home, and most likely the wife would be the one effected. 50 weeks later she was diagnosed.

Air fresheners, perfumes, Fabric softener, and other household products can impact hormones and metabolism.

We switched to free and clear laundry detergent, ditched all air fresheners, scented candles, etc. We avoid fabric softener like the plague.

Not the normal thing people think of when maintaining healthy weight, but when we consider we inhale 3000 to 6000 times more than we eat, reality strikes.

brunosbud responded:
bobby,

Well done! I am glad people are finally focusing on health issues... ie., products, foods or practices that stress/impair our health...

Because, they help to explain why:
  1. Diets don't work,
  2. Calorie Counters fail,
  3. Gastric Bypass Surgery only temporary delays the inevitable, and
  4. Drugs and Weight Loss Supplements are a total waste of money

Weight gain is the result of poor health due to the inconsistent practice of healthy fundamentals. That's why people who are overweight usually have other things wrong besides excessive body fat...digestive issues, skin problems, bad teeth, depression, high blood pressure, uncontrolled blood sugar, and, of course, hormone imbalances...

Therefore, in order to lose weight, you must "restore" your good health. You must be both knowledgeable and disciplined in your daily practice of healthy fundamentals in order to rebuild your body and improve fitness. Starving yourself, no matter whichever method employed, only, accomplishes one thing...

It makes you hungry!...

Here's a sample post seen, here, countless times...

"...For the last 3 weeks, I'm eating 1200 calories, exercising 3 hrs a day, drinking 8 glasses of water...I haven't lost a pound! Is it because "muscle weighs more than fat"? Have I "plateaued"? Has my metabolism gone into "starvation mode"? Is it because "hypothyroid"? Is it my "genetics"?...What am I doing wrong?????..."

Nothing...if you're goal is to get really, really hungry, you're doing nothing "wrong", at all...

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

peparing breakfast the night before
I can plan my breakfast in advance and plan ahead , "when awake". This way one can decide the proper nutrients . More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.