Skip to content

Announcements

Most consumed food in the USA
bobby75703 posted:
Been studying the US diet. Interesting to note what I see as the most commonly consumed food in the american diet. If my perception is correct, we eat more of this than any other food. Can you guess what it is?

brunosbud responded:
Bread or soda.

bobby75703 replied to brunosbud's response:
Very close brunosbud. "Wheat" is the answer.

Think about it. Its more then just the bread that accompanies a dinner.

Wheat is what makes southern cooking, southern cooking. Chicken fried steak, fried chicken, fried shrimp, fried catfish. All coated in wheat four and subjected to high cooking temperatures. Don't forget the white gravy made from, wheat flour.

Now start reading ingredients on packages. Enriched wheat flour tends to be first, followed by High fructose corn syrup.

Going Italian tonight? Wheat is the number one ingredient. Plus the garlic bread on the side of course, is wheat.

Going for a hamburger? Its accompanied with wheat. How bout a hot dog? Its encased in wheat too.

Dessert is a treat and it begins with wheat. Just add sugar.

Wheat, wheat, wheat. In America its what we eat. Add some corn syrup and make it sweet. Hey, that rhymes.

LuvMySpencerPup replied to bobby75703's response:
I was going to say wheat. <doh> Really I was, honest, but I wasn't sure if it qualified as a "food" .

I've been reading some articles on going wheat free and trying it out.

I've been wheat free for about a week.

Have either of you heard of the book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD?

Even my Prevention Guide magazine this month is entitled "Lose the Wheat".

It is a very intriguing topic.

~Stacy

bobby75703 replied to LuvMySpencerPup's response:
Stacy, it is a very intriguing topic. Yes, I am aware of the Book "Wheat Belly", although I have not read it, I read the reviews and understand what the book is about and its key points.

I have experimented and gone up to one month wheat free in the past. Yes, I felt better, but its a bear to stick with since wheat is so predominant in the American diet.

Last night my wife prepared an authentic Japanese meal. Upon careful examination I noted zero wheat in the meal.

LuvMySpencerPup replied to bobby75703's response:
Hi there Bobby...good to meet you.

When I started this I was astonished to find just how much wheat is in almost everything we consume.

There are pros and cons of course but if it is true and the wheat we eat is not the wheat of our great grandparents then all of the concern falls into place.

From the book "What now passes for wheat has been stretched, sewed, cut, and stitched back together to produce something entirely unique, nearly unrecognizable when compared to the original, yet it is still called by the same name : wheat."

I quoted this from my Prevention magazine which took it from "Wheat Belly"

Interesting, eh?

Since I've started shopping and eating this way, I feel every empowered. <insert flexing biceps> LOL

My husband is watching me, with a bit of a chuckle I suspect, but seems to be a tad bit interested himself.

I'll make a convert out of him soon.

I'm going to keep with it, wheat free and watching calories.

I did find that some Gleutin free items are loaded with carbs and sugar so I am limiting prepackaged Gleutin free items.

Anyway, I've blabbed and gushed enough, back to trying to drink all the water recommended on this program.

I suspect I'll have webbed feet soon.

~Stacy

bobby75703 replied to LuvMySpencerPup's response:
Good to meet you too Stacy. Keep me updated on your wheat free experience.

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.