Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Can Super Foods Turn Back the Clock?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
Though the media and our own internal "wishful thinking" try to tell us otherwise, the whole concept of super foods to slow or delay aging is a triumph of marketing over reality. While some foods may have more of one nutrient than another, the truth is that all fruits and vegetables are super foods, and the best strategy is a broad mix of different types.

One easy strategy is to try to get as many different colors of fruit and vegetable on your plate as you can at each meal, as the colors coincide with different chemical makeups within each plant. It is the overall concept of having plants of all types form the bulk of your calorie consumption that leads to long-term health (and then reducing that calorie consumption to sane levels!)

bobby75703 responded:
" Triumph of marketing over reality." Very well said Dr. Lodge.

PetuniaPea responded:
Totally agree with the "sane levels!" I've been shocked at what I've read in this diet community with people reducing their calories to 500 or 900 and most commonly 1200!

1200 is not a one-size fits all answer to weight loss! It is what most experts say is the lowest, "safest" calorie reduction number one can go to when dieting for a short amount of time.

But people here are using that number and even lower LONG TERM. THAT IS NOT HEALTHY.

In fact, Self magazine (in which you give great advice by the way!) always has a diet plan that consists of 1600 calories for an average 5'6" woman! And the diet plan is for a few weeks or maybe a month or two.

PLEASE, everyone, be smart and don't follow a 1200 calorie or less diet long term!!! Now I'll get off my soap box. Thanks for reading.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Roberto100 responded:
I definetly think super foods can be very good for the body. Personally i have experienced more energy and less sickness since i started to use these super foods.

At the moment i am on a really good Diet Plan To Lose Weight ; wich actually includes these super foods. Its great losing weight and gaining health.

Click Here To Discover How To Gain Health While Losing Weight

PetuniaPea replied to Roberto100's response:
You're missing the point! Every vegetable and fruit is a superfood!

Also, eating some veggies raw makes them even more of a superfood, because the wonderful enzymes remain fully intact.

Other veggies become more of a superfood when cooked, like tomatoes. I try to eat cooked AND raw tomatoes to get the full benefits.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 241 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.