Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Rethinking Diets, Weight Loss and Health
brunosbud posted:
I found an excellent read this morning in the NY Times I wish to share...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/25/rethinking-diets-weight-loss-and-health/

The most interesting part of the article, imo, are the comments, actually. There are 288 comments, altogether. Most are very insightful with great observations made.

In the days and months, ahead, I think you will be seeing more and more of these reports regarding Weight Loss.

The reason: I think people have had enough bulsht!

People are getting more and more frustrated at their inability to lose weight. People are trying very hard to improve their health and are tired of feeling terrible and admonished for not trying "hard" enough. The Weight Loss industries have grown to be a multi-billion dollar industry and people resent corporations getting "fat" off the backs of consumer's desperation. I think people are questioning the "Diet and Exercise" mantra that's been preached for the last 50 years and are demanding the scientific community present hard evidence to show what clearly works and doesn't work...no more speculation or assumptions; Just the Facts, NOW!

In closing, I'd like to share the following article to illustrate the kind of deception, I'm talking about. I might add, I don't disagree with the facts presented in the article, whatsoever. My only question is: Who exactly is doing research in this field and why wasn't this presented to us 50 years ago?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss/

LuvMySpencerPup responded:
Great articles! Thanks for sharing

~Stacy

brunosbud replied to LuvMySpencerPup's response:
That last article I referenced, "Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss" brings to light two of the most troubling concepts of weight loss...

The perception of how, not just Americans, but the entire world views the role of exercise and metabolic burn rate in weight loss.

According to this study, the world is whack; it's myth, a total disconnect between present understanding and reality.

For example, we all know that the only thing keeping Michael Phelps from looking like Gov. Chris Christie are 5 miles of swimming and 90 minutes in the weight room, everyday. But, the 10,000 calories he consumes, daily, when in training, doesn't equate to how he "looks"...He can't possibly "burn" 10,000 calories from "exercise", alone, so, how does he get away with it????

Plus, to make matters worse, as a result of his extreme fitness, his metabolic burn rate during periods of rest is most likely far less than you and I. Again, more 2 plus 2 equals 3!

This is why "exercise" and "metabolism" is so poorly understood by the Average Joe and Jane. The scientific community has had 50 years to explain why it's essential to exercise and maintain high levels of activity, daily, in order to lose weight...it's, now, 2013, we're in the midst of an obesity and Type 2 Diabetes epidemic and people are still wondering, "Why exercise when I'm not seeing results?"

Here's a quote from a doctor who commented on the first article I referenced...

"There is no question that diets are often ineffective, but that still does not explain why obesity rates have increased tremendously in the past 3 decades. Our genetic makeup has not changed? I assume our "will power" hasn't changed. There is clearly some environmental factor in our diets that makes up prone to fat accumulation.....

It is the job of obesity researchers to clarify what this is!....

This diet study proves in my mind that it is clearly not saturated fat. We have been preached to for 25 years that if we all lowered our fat intake we would be thinner, our cholesterol would be lower, and we wouldn't get heart disease. This study strongly suggests that this is not true. I recommend that readers take a look at the writings of Gary Taubes in the NY times on this subject."
— Jason Infeld, MD

This is why I say, Dr. Peeke, Dr. Lodge and the entire medical community needs to step in and really begin the process of unraveling these myths and misperceptions.

I, for one, know absolutely and unequivocally, that exercise is the primary key to weight loss. I know, absolutely and unequivocally, that processed food is garbage...

Is it me? Does it strike anyone else as odd that even practicing physicians, today, are still confused about how to explain weight loss to their patients?

LuvMySpencerPup replied to brunosbud's response:
Very interesting ...I'm reading everything you've posted on this subject.

Stop making me think so hard.

~Stacy

abnersmom replied to brunosbud's response:
Hi Bruno,

Thanks for posting these articles. I have been reading as much research on weight loss and maintenance as my busy schedule allows over the past couple of year. Knowledge IS power, While I find much of the research interesting, I have found none of it as enlightening as reading the success stories on the National Weight Control Registry. These are real people who have been successful in losing significant amounts of weight and have kept it off. There is a common theme among these success stories and while it includes daily exercise and weighing one's self routinely; it also includes being vigilant about food intake.

For me, I know "absolutely and unequivocally," that logging my food in a tracker and being mindful of my nutrition and CALORIES has been the key to my 115 lb. weight loss which I am now maintaining. I am not arguing the point that exercise is extremely important to overall health, just that if a food addict, like me, does not get control of the food part, weight loss is not going to happen.

brunosbud replied to abnersmom's response:
Thank you for sharing that advice. There's no question that weight loss, at the end of the day, must obey the physical laws of mathematics and thermodynamics...calories expended must be greater than calories eaten. It's really no different than trying to run a business without tracking income and expenses. You'll never be profitable without tracking your money by maintaining on-going ledgers and journals.

I have questions for you, abnersmom...

1. Do you still battle food cravings and, if so, how do you deal with them?
  2. Do you submit to annual physicals and blood testing? If so, can you share any changes you've observed as a result of the lost weight? Did you receive a lot of guidance and support from your doctor?

Again, thanks for your comments!

1. Interesting term, food cravings...since I cleaned my house out of all the foods that are unhealthy and possibly binge-producing, I don't really have a problem with cravings. It's eating out, social events, etc. when I don't have control over what is served where I have run into problems. I deal with these events by looking online at the restaurant menus ahead of time to make a good choice; I am realistic about overindulging at parties so I cut back a bit the day before and the day after and try to keep the splurge to a minimum. I've had many slips, but the important thing is I get right back on track.

I don't mind answering personal questions, Brunosbud, if it will help someone else. Yes, I have yearly physicals. My physician, to whom I have gone for 20 plus years, is very supportive, but not much guidance (typical, I believe). My blood work is great except for cholesterol which has improved, but after checking every 3 months is not where it needs to be. Triglycerides are great, ratio between HDL and LDL is good, but LDL is still too high (not outrageously, that's why Doc gave me a year with careful monitoring to get it down with diet and exercise). Although he was willing to let me try, he was not optimistic that diet and exercise alone would do the trick. I was determined to prove him wrong with dietary changes appropriate for improving cholesterol numbers. We shall see in March.

Thank you for sharing, abnersmom. Interesting perspectives to both questions.

Regarding 1., "anticipating trouble" is advanced weight loss. In fact, avoiding trouble before it arrives is the ultimate answer to all problem solving, isn't it? People who don't understand the importance of prevention ride "merry-go-rounds" for a living...going fast but nowhere in particular.

Regarding 2., My LDL is too high & my total cholesterol is too high, but my Total:HDL is 3.8 : 1, so, I told my doctor, "Sorry but my "ratio" is good...Let's move on." I'm more concerned about blood sugar, blood pressure & weight; cholesterol is my least concern.

Brunosbud, I have a family history of heart disease, so I do have concerns about the cholesterol. I agree that we are in charge of our health and should make decisions on what is best for us by educating ourselves as well as listening to our doctors. Here's to making good choices!

Although, it may sound like I'm in denial about high cholesterol, actually, I'm not, abnersmom. I just prefer to categorize my "concerns" as "flavors of the month"...

In other words, I ask myself the following question..."Did I worry about "it" (high cholesterol) when I was 6 years old? Will I worry about "it" when I'm 86? If the answer is "no" to both, then, it's a "flavor of the month".

When you look at it from that perspective, the only thing to worry about at 6, 86 and everything in between?

Enjoy life and, hopefully, have somebody to love.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

peparing breakfast the night before
I can plan my breakfast in advance and plan ahead , "when awake". This way one can decide the proper nutrients . More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.