Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Wheelchair
racheal30554 posted:
I'm 45 years old and I'm in a wheelchair I weighted 130 pounds when MS put me in the wheelchair and in 5 months I have put on 50+ pounds. Is there a diet that I can use to lose this weight. I have a lot of health problems and I can't breathe being like this. can anyone help me lose this weight.

hannahj488 responded:
Hi Racheal,

I just had to post a reply when I saw you post. I am not a doctor by any means but I health issues myself. About a year and half ago, I was doing physical therapy, which might help you feel better health wise. They specialize in a bunch of different health issues (I went for my fibromyalgia.) Doctors told me I would be in a wheelchair before age 35 (I will be 22 on Monday.) So, I just had to do something about my health.

Diet-wise, there is not a special "miracle" diet that works for everyone. Remember everyone is different. But, I will share what's worked for me. I watch my carb intake. I was considering trying the Paleo diet. Basically what it is is gluten free, lean meats, fruits and veggies, and fish. It's also called the Caveman diet because it's what cavemen ate back in the Stone Age. There's some good books available on that diet. The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat by Loren Cordain is a good place to start. over 100,000 copies have been sold and there's proof to back up her claim that it actually works.

Also, try to watch your sugar intake. Of course some sugars are fine. Just don't eat 6 donuts a day (that isn't reasonable at all.) I would have a dessert every 2-3 days.

Also, protein shakes are really good. Most places sell a large (about a gallon or so) things of whey protein powder for about $32 (that's what it sells for at Whole Foods.) Not sure if you have a Whole Foods or health food store in your area. Check amazon or ebay for better prices.

Try to limit your red meat intake to once or twice a month. Red meats are linked to certain kinds of cancer, such as colon cancer.

So that's pretty much it. Feel free to post any questions to me that you might have

logicalremedies responded:
Hello rachael30554! if you're having difficult breathing i'm going to assume it's because your excess weight is suffocating you because have to stay seated all the time. in 2011 i lost 70 lbs in less than 5 months simply by becoming aware of WHAT i am, not who i am or what my job is. you have the greatest dietary supplements and pharmacy on the planet already in you. don't sell yourself out to pills and stuff like that unless you have a disease or something. if you're just trying to lose weight then it's a very easy thing. i just got finished losing 15 lbs in a week and a half. piece of cake! there are literally millions of people who jump into a diet by completely skipping over step 1. fortunately for you, because of your situation, losing weight is about working less, not working harder. it's about awareness! it's not about what corporation can own you by keeping you on their pills. You are naturally designed to lose weight. There's nothing wrong with you...just your strategy. trust me...i speak from experience, not from reciting something i read in a book or saw on tv. BE your own president! KNOW that you're divine! Keep your head up. i'm always here if you have a question or just need to talk. Have a glorious, logical day!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.