Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
New :)
SaintsGirl19 posted:
Hello everybody, I am new to the whole group and weight loss problem. I am a 19 year old girl .. and well I am wondering how In the world I am gonna start losing weight because well.. I have sleep apnea and this is probably the reason why I need the weight gone.. im 201 lbs. but my goal is 144... or lower it really depends.. but any advise?? I had lost some weight in the past but gave up.. cause i was tried of exercising and it got VERY boring. so I need help on both dieting and fitness... I know it had on here about the fitness planner but im kinda confused on how long to exercise and such so please help me if ya'll can!

bhamil999 responded:
you have to exercise to lose weight and stay healthy. I got a personal trainer and that helps me. If there is someone at the gym waiting for me I am much more likely to go to the gym in the first place. Maybe find someone that is already active and tag along with them. you could put your earbuds in and just start walking to the music. Listen to upbeat, motivating music. Music that makes you WANT to move. there is a lot of information on here about diet and how much of what you should eat. I am on a high protein, low carb diet. A food diary is essential to success with diet. I hated doing it but it made me accountable for what I put in my body. I no longer keep the food diary but my diet is very static. I eat meat and vegtables. I drink a protein supplement with very little carbs. for long term weight loss success one needs to think about whether or not they can maintain the diet they are eating now for the rest of your life. I have a cheat meal every 10-14 days which contains 200-300 grams of carbs in order to "ramp" my metabolism. This works really well for me. I generally gain 3-5 lbs after the meal but within 14 days I have lost those 3-5 plus another 3-5 lbs. I have lost 109 lbs so far. I have been doing this for 2 years so far. I lost 80 lbs the first six months and put fifty pounds back on within the next six months. That's when I hired my trainer. I have lost 80 lbs since May 2012. I have gained so much more in health, wellness (physical and mental), and fitness. I was able to reverse my diabetes in 8 months of weight training. I do very little cardio. that is just what my trainer has recommended for me so that I can gain muscle but cardio is very beneficial to the weight loss process. If you are a food addict own it. Admit the addiction and work on eating not for pleasure but for fuel for your body. You NEED to fuel your body. Our society has turned eating into a past time instead of what it really is which is a means to fuel the body so it can function.

jemimahhernandez responded:
If you are tried of exercising then you should try this as its wont take much of time its called interval training, the most effective weight loss tool you have beside diet. The simple premise of interval training on treadmill is to start steady and warm up.
Then vary your intensity on said exercise up and down. Go at 90% capacity for a minute then drop to 70% then to 85% then rest at 50% twenty minutes of that is far more effective than 45min on the one intensity level.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Welcome to the community and congrats to you for wanting to change. Well done indeed!

The great news is that there's a good chance you can get off the CPAP for the sleep apnea once you've dropped your weight. This apnea affects your brain's function, energy level and focus. So the sooner you get this weight off, the better

You need a combination of healthy nutrition as well as physical activity. You've been to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and it says how important activity is. Yep, exercise can be boring. The great news is that there are plenty of cool options for staying active.

DANCE! Zumba is really a gas and you'll love the music. You just take it at your own pace. it's really quite effective. Don't bounce around, but enjoy the fun in the class or at home off the DVD. Hip Hop or any other kind of music is great to dance to as well.

Set a goal. Walk/run your first 5K. Nothing like a goal to get you going. Do it with friends and/or for a cause. Make it fun and an adventure. Join a biking or hiking group. Go places in your neck of the woods and have fun.

The Wii series is lots of fun to do at home, but it doesn't really burn as many calories. Take martial arts class, or yoga, or pilates. Mix it up. I get bored too so i mix up swimming, biking and running. Or, I hike. It's supposed to be fun.

There are other good ideas on this exchange. Just do trial and error and you'll find your own magic combo.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.