Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Dieting and blood thinners
An_250394 posted:
I need to find a diet that I can follow, I am on warfarin and cant eat alot of greens, no green teas. Its hard to follow most diet plans, most tell you to eat alot of vegetables which I can't do.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi An_25,
From what I'm finding on the net about warfarin, it's best NOT to diet while on it, and that ANY weight change needs to be discussed with your doctor. I'm guessing that this is because it's a drug that is dosed out by the person's weight(?).
That said. It's not that you CAN'T eat any leafy greens, more like you are supposed to stay to a limited amount of vitamin K, by the sounds of it.
Here is a link to a site that gives good, better, best food choices for keeping low on the K list. To me, it looks like you have a pretty wide open field on which to build a good, healthy eating plan.
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/low-vitamin-k-foods-for-a-coumadin-warfarin-diet.php

some suggestions to help you on your way...
1. Start a food and fitness planner here on WebMD or Fitday.com or wherever. Find out how many calories to shoot for and how much exercise output you should be doing.
2. Begin eating more sensibly. Use smaller plates, bowls and cups, like toddler sized ones, which happen to be almost the EXACT size you need for proper portion control.
3. Read labels on the items that you like to eat , then find healthier , lower fat, calorie and sodium options of them.
4. Prepare meals from scratch, using fresh/frozen produce, fresh(not processed) meats, eggs and low fat dairy products. This way, YOU are in control of what goes into them.
5. Switch from margarines and NON heart healthy oils to real butter in small amounts, 0 cal cooking sprays, extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed oil and extra virgin coconut oil. all of which have healthy benefits.
6. Drink 64 oz of water a day. At least try. And stay far away from sodas, yes even the diet ones are bad for you.
7. When shopping, think RAW, FRESH, REAL(not manmade)
8. Eat to feed your body. Healthy foods for a healthy body.
If you want to feel better, Eat better.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

brunosbud responded:
Discuss this with your cardiologist. She/He's counseled many before you on precisely this issue. "Yes", you need to make changes but, "No", you don't want to learn about what those changes are, this way. You're in a delicate state.

Please, follow your physician's instructions, the very best you can. Good luck.

An_249544 responded:
I work in a clinic and often meet patients on warfarin. Kim is correct in that you need to watch the amount of Vitamin K you take in. Make sure you are consistent in getting you INR's done. Diet is possible while taking warfarin. I'd check out the site Kim put up and talk to your doctor. I'm sure you are not the first person to come to them with this problem. Good Luck!

Helpful Tips

The Venus Factor Review
Here Is the Review Of Venus Factor Scam For the Complete Solution of Weight Loss: Get Prevention from Exta fat forever. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.