Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Eating after dinner
An_250425 posted:
How the heck can I stop the munchies after dinner? I find that once I sit in my recliner I am susceptible to wanting to eat something. Sometimes I am good and have a piece of fruit or a low fat yogurt. Other times its cookies and milk or tea. I have almost no will power. What are your suggestions to help me curb these urges.

PetuniaPea responded:
I have a few ideas.

Try chewing on gum after dinner. Pick your favorite flavor, or stick with mint...who wants to eat anything after having something minty? If you don't like gum, try a piece of mint candy. If sugarless candy upsets your stomach, real sugar candy is okay if you just have one piece.

Going with the mint theme, brush your teeth right away after dinner. Or enjoy a cup of peppermint tea.

Next idea. Eat a slightly more filling dinner. I don't feel like eating anything after a nice, filling dinner. Choose soups made with broth, extra vegetables on the side, or a serving of beans as wise choices to fill up on. I enjoy having baked homemade sweet potato fries with dinner. It's naturally sweet and fufills that sweet tooth.

Finally, I don't believe in "will power." It makes you seem weak, and you're not weak! You just haven't fully tricked your brain! You need to give yourself time to adopt new habits...it can take up to a few weeks or a month. Keep making healthy swaps to your desserts and pretty soon, your new habit will stick. A good trick...give yourself a number of times per month you can splurge on cookies, say, 4 times a month--every Saturday night. It will keep you motivated and going in the right direction!!!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.