Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Southern Cooking
bobby75703 posted:
What makes southern cooking, southern cooking? The answer is wheat Batter made from wheat flour and deep fried.

Wheat flour batter coats the food and is subjected to high temperature cooking. Then the bread on the side is more wheat. The white country gravy is more flour. then the dessert has wheat flour and sugar. Don't forget the sweet tea.

So wheat flour and sugar makes southern cooking, southern cooking. These are the primary ingredients in areas that experience high rates of obesity, diabetes, and death from heart attacks.

We tend to focus on the oils used, and while that's good, we tend to overlook just how much wheat these people are consuming. Southern cooking is a mega wheat diet.

Meanwhile, beef sales are higher in the midwest where there is less obesity, less diabetes and less heart disease, as compared to the southeast.

So I ask, when someone eats a diet of chicken fried steak, fried shrimp, fried catfish, and their health suffers, is it the steak? Is it the chicken? is it the fish? or is it the wheat?

Think about it.

LuvMySpencerPup responded:
Hi Bobby,

I'm going on my 2nd week of being wheat free...and loving it!

I feel lighter and have lost 2 pounds which was my goal.

The one amazing factor is that I don't feel like I'm starving as I did when I wasn't dieting. I was always hungry no matter how much I ate. And the scales can prove it. <insert look of horror>

I have noticed that the intestinal upset I usually experience after a meal is gone and so is my acid reflux.

Of course it could all be attributed to paying more attention to my portions and eating only healthy foods BUT if I do have a wheat sensitivity then I have found the healthy way of eating for me.

All I know is I feel great for the first time in years!

Take good care everyone
~Stacy and all my typos :)

bobby75703 replied to LuvMySpencerPup's response:
That's fantastic Stacey! Keep it up.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
202 of 247 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.