Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
weight loss slow after 40
An_250495 posted:
have been trying to lose weight by stopping all junk food, refined sugars, breads, and most fruit. 10 years ago this would have enabled me to lose quickly but i have been doing this for 8 weeks and have only lost a few pounds. I do use the sugar free candy ( a couple peices a coupole times weekly, as long as no net carbs and calorie free). i also added in walking the stairs instead of riding and 30 min exercise 3-4 tines a week. I have to start losing before long. My food cravings are gone and i feel so much better, not as bloated but still the scale is stuck??? also drinking plenty of water and green tea. i do use splenda and drink diet sodas rarely.

any ideas or issues you see???oh, i need to lose 80 lbs to be in healthy weight range.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Well, your problem is why i wrote Fight Fat after Forty! Read the book to help yourself understand so much about what it takes to shed pounds after 40. There are indeed profound changes that can occur after you hit 40 and intensify as the years progress.

I would also ask you to look at the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and get a blueprint going for your daily tracking and accountability for food and activity

One of the keys to dropping weight after 40 is to intensify your walking (20-30 mins but hit a hill or two, increase your pace) and add some home based (gym if you want) strength training (simple things like a push up off the wall) that will help you rev up your metabolism. You need to be keeping consistent with more walking on a daily basis. You also have to keep your total carbs under control--- more watery veggies than fruits, whole grains like quinoa and barley, and watch out for sugary/fatty/salty food combos that increase cravings (see The Hunger Fix book).

You've already benefited as you can see from the decreased bloat. Don't over concentrate on the scale. Notice changes in your size esp your tummy across the belly button. You've already dropped some weight. More will happen with a tighter plan.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Dr. Peeke

brunosbud replied to sanyogita80's response:
Next time, could you, please, offer a poll question after your post?

jemimahhernandez responded:
Firstly get a full health checkup. If you are overweight, you can be looking at diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and other health concerns of the modern middle age male.
Have six small meals a day with calories recommended according to your height, weight. Choose food with high-fiber and low-fat diet not only for weight loss but to lower your risk of coronary diseases.
Include yoga with your exercise as it is a physical practice that has been shown to help many people with their physical and mental well-being.

Jemimah[br> [br>

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
273 of 338 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.