Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
New to WebMed Diet Community
cneshe posted:
Hi everyone,

Right now I am doing the Beck Diet Solution, which is a step-by-step healthy eating format based on cognitive therapy techniques. It's the most difficult and beneficial health book I've encountered to date!

Part of the steps to weight loss success includes finding a diet coach or some support mechanism for the "man down" moments where I potentially may need a rescue.

I just wanted to reach out, say why I'm here, and hope that I receive support in the future as I progress! Is anyone else familiar with this book? I'd love to be a diet support buddy to anyone, and hopefully get the same vice versa!

Thank you in advance!
CJ

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Welcome aboard! I know the Beck method very well. It's centered around redefining and reframing your eating habits and relationship with food and emotions, checking in with yourself and staying calm and centered as you look to better weight management. I'm glad you're starting on this journey. Well done indeed.

We are here to support you in any way. The nature of this journey is that everyone runs into challenges and rather than resort to self destruction, you'll learn how to adapt and adjust without caving to the crave. Speaking of which have a look at The Hunger Fix to help update you on the new science of food, craving and addiction. This is new since the Beck book was published and will help you understand how the sugary/fatty/salty food combos can hijack your reward system and make it difficult to shed your weight.

Also, please make sure to incorporate lots of great physical activity into your baseline plan. Helps mind and body. You might want to look into tracking your progress through apps like FitPal and LoseIt. I would also recd you check out the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner so that you can have a blueprint for your journey.

Good luck and let's hear from you!

Dr. Peeke

bk1000 responded:
For familial hypertriglycerdemia, I know it helps to avoid fats and to get exercise. Is decreasing carb intake also important?

Thanks in advance.
BK

brunosbud replied to bk1000's response:
Good question. As a general rule, a diet based heavily on processed carbs like the Big Four White Starches commonly found in frozen dinners and pre-packaged meals...pasta, rice, potatoes and bread...tend to raise triglycerides, lower HDL and raise blood glucose. And, when you couple that with daily servings of red meat and dairy, that's the path most taken by Americans to lifestyle diseases such as obesity, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease & stroke.

Thus, the key to a better diet is to consume less processed food, less white starch and sugar, less red meat and diary. And, once you elect to have "daily exercise" and plenty of "rest" join the battle, your days of compromised health will come to an end. These are big changes and you must be patient but it works, every time.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.