Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Advice for an obese college student
PandaLion posted:
Hi,

I have just started the webmd food planner. I need to lose 100lbs. However, I am currently unemployed I go to school Monday through Friday, I have to drive a half hour there and then back, so to save on gas(provided by mom) I stay on campus from about 9 to 6. My parents do not have a lot of money, so watever they give me is very little and I end up buying a candy bar or cookie or on a good day pizza with that money, I pack a lunch sometimes, when I do its usually a turkey sandwich with maybe an apple, I find myself being hungry, so again, I end up turning to cheap junk usually the dollar menu at some stupid fast food place. Also I do have the common issues with comfort/emotional eating, I have a strained relationship with my dad, whom I live with sometimes this is a factor in my food choices at home. Does anyone have advice for me?

brunosbud responded:
The Bad News: You make dangerous, toxic, hunger-inducing food choices that cause you to binge eat...

The Good News: You know what the "bad" foods are. You've listed some in your post...

The Bad News: You "rationalize" your bad choices.
In other words, you justify why you eat, badly, & give yourself "permission" to cause harm.

The Good News: You're intelligent, honest and concerned for your future.

The Challenge: Can you slowly and methodically replace the bad foods you eat, now, with healthier, energizing, natural foods that can repair and kick start your body's fat reducing systems? Can you stop "self-polluting" and begin a daily exercise program that will reduce stress, help burn fat & rebuild your mind and body?...Can you become your best friend rather than your worst enemy?

My advice is place a time limit to self-treat your food addictions but once time's up, please, seek help, right away. Be honest with yourself.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Panda,
I seriously remember being a broke college student. But, depending on where you live, there are always ways to make some extra cash. Even if it's not considered an actual job, you could rake leaves, mow, trim bushes, clean windows, shovel snow, tutor a fellow student, write resumes for people..... or pick up cans bottles and cans if you live in a state that pays for returnables. If you don't have classes for that whole time that you are on campus/in town, get busy and make some UNTAXABLE CASH in your downtime. Just because you are in college doesn't mean you should depend wholly on your already cash strapped parents.
Now, about your food choices... a candy bar now costs about $1.50 , a pop usually about the same, and a "campus cookie" prolly around that much. For about that same amount, if you plan ahead and shop at a regular grocery store for the week, you could buy a can of natural juice packed fruit and a yogurt; an avacodo and a can of water packed tuna; a WHOLE dozen eggs to eat either hard boiled, fried and put in a sandwich, or made into egg salad; a bag of carrots and a whole head of lettuce; 3 apples; a can of chunky soup; TWO cans of tomato soup to heat up in the cafeteria; 2 tomatoes; or about 3 lbs of bananas...... there are better , healthier choices out there, you just have to go shopping instead of doing the easy(lazy) thing and going for the first, and not best, available option at the checkout counters.
Eating healthier and losing weight, is a choice. The options are wide open even on a budget.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Any auto mechanic will tell you. If you routinely perform basic service like change fluids and filters at regular intervals, check tire pressure, never ignore a check engine light and always have your car maintained by trained & experienced mechanics, only...Your car will be reliable and will run, forever.

This is precisely why you don't see many cars older than 10 years, plus, on the road. Once the warranty is up, cars are getting "trashed", quick. This is why leasing has become so preferred, now. Who has time to take care of a car, right?

The exact same rules apply to the human body...

Yet, we are not performing basic maintenance and we're using cheap, contaminated fuel, too.

It's whack to think that going on a diet is "healthy"; there's not a thing healthy about it! There's nothing "basic" or "routine" about subjecting oneself to sudden, drastically-reduced calorie intake performed by "mechanics" who believe they're "qualified" because they read somethin'-on-the-in'rr'net.

Oh well...maybe someday we can "lease" a body.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.