Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Diurex & senna tea dangerous to potassium?
Chamill1 posted:
To start I am a 22 yo female. For the past three days I have been taking two doses of over the counter diurex and one cup of senna tea a day. I didn't have the senna tea today but I read online taking these things together can cause dangerously low potassium levels. I have had a headache almost all day today but other than that I feel normal. I have been trying to count my pulse but I'm not good at if myself. My question is are these things dangerous? I was taking them to make weight for something on Thursday and I was going to stop taking them tomorrow but should I stop now? What can I do to get my potassium levels normal quickly? I don't have insurance right now so I can't go to the doctors or hospital.

PetuniaPea responded:
You're going down a slippery slope by taking diurex and senna tea. To get potassium levels up quickly, eat a lot of high potassium foods! Quick!

In order of most potassium to least, give or take:

Avocado - one whole
Papaya - eat a half or more
Sweet potato - one medium
Potato - one medium
Cantaloupe - eat half or more
White navy beans - 1/2 to 1 cup
Wild Alaskan Salmon -4 ounces
Other various beans - 1/2 cup to 1 cup
Carrot juice - one cup
Coconut water- one cup
Orange Juice - one cup
Cooked spinach - 1/2 cup
Banana - one medium

Eat many of these foods daily, plus any other foods you research regarding potassium, and enjoy those daily! Good luck!

I wrote this last year: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts/14343-Are-you-getting-enough-potassium
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Simple way to cut out calories
Take one piece of the bread off of sandwiches and eat them "pizza-style." Divide lunch portions in half & only eat half; eat the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.