Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Extenuating Circumstances for Lower Caloric Intake?
BumpstatiK posted:
I weigh 275 lbs, am 23 years old, 6'1, wearing size 40. Through my research, I have found that I have roughly 25% body fat and should require around 3000 calories a day with regular exercise to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I feel I am a bit different than most people this obese in that I am proportionately strong, have great lung capacity, and actually am pretty active. I can go mountain biking for 2 hours and feel fine, or hiking for 10 miles and be ready to do it again the next day.

My problem is that I feel energized eating just 1500 calories a day and can exercise quite well even with the lower caloric intake. I usually run 2 miles (8 min miles on treadmill), then weight lift for another 25 minutes. I am worried that I may be doing more harm than good, even if my energy feels fine. My typical food intake in a day looks like: 2 eggs for bfast with a glass of oj, apple and an orange for mid-morning snack, chicken sausage for lunch (or tuna sandwhich), an orange before afternoon workout, some beef jerky after the workout, and then grilled chicken breast with 1/2 cup of brown rice. This only equates to around 1500 calories, and sometimes i dont even do the eggs for breakfast and choose a protein bar instead. I sleep like a baby every night around 10 and wake up around 6.

My gut tells me im fine because my energy levels feel fine and i feel confident in myself for being able to do everything I can on such low calories. Everything ive been reading is telling me I shouldn't be fine. Are there extenuating circumstances for some people due to such differing bodies?

jemimahhernandez responded:
If you are fully acknowledged that you are healthy and fit than no need get tense. Just make your eating habits healthy which will boosts your energy level and do some regular physical activities which will keep you active.

PetuniaPea responded:
Your body has gotten used to surviving on 1500 calories a day. Not sure if it is hurting you. It might be, in that you're not really including any veggies--BUSTED!

There is some controversy over whether daily low caloric intake can increase life span...however, people who adhere to the "calorie reduction diet" generally consume waaaay more fruits and tons and tons of veggies than your diet entails, and no sausage or jerky; they will consume more plant-based protein.

Also, usually, eating way less than you should can cause your metabolism to slow down, making it nearly impossible to lose weight. So if weight loss is your goal, perhaps try eating more...and make those extra calories good old fashion, disease-fighting, longevity-inducing VEGETABLES. Sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, onions, tomatoes, avocados, carrots, cucumbers, LEAFY GREENS (this is the jackpot when it comes to fighting diseases and extending life) like broccoli, kale, and salad bags from Trader Joes...pick up some olive oil while you're there...one or two tablespoons on a salad is a good way to up your calories especially if you aren't really hungry for large quantities of food. Good luck!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
272 of 337 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.