Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

what to eat?
kaykillen posted:
can anyone tell me what sort of food to eat every 3 hours? like having 6 small meals a day? like the food consist protein carbs and fiber?
i weight 78 kilo i want so bad to lose weight

totallywiggedout responded:
Kay,
When we think of "meals" we envision what we grew up with.... a plate of food, maybe a side salad and a drink.
That's not what is meant here , obviously.
good options for eating every 3 hours, esp at work are;
10 almonds
or
a 1 cup serving of waldorf salad made with 1/2c cooked bulgar(1/4 cup dry), diced apple, celery, a few raisins, some walnuts and a little ff vanilla yogurt to coat
or
1 oven baked chicken tender, some baby spinach and a little mustard wrapped in a romaine leaf
or
a slice avocado with some tuna salad
or
baby carrots with some peanut butter
or
1 hard boiled egg
easy stuff that you can take along with you to work . All you have to do is think outside of the box.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

kaykillen replied to totallywiggedout's response:
highly appreciate your response maam but it is hard for me to have these type of food. I came from different culture

jis4judy replied to kaykillen's response:
hey Kaykillan
so what is it in your culture to eat ?
maybe fish and vegies as long as the fish isn't fried
that is good
Does your culture alow fat free dairy like yogurt and milk
focus and natural foods that grow and avoid proccessed foods especially the ones with artificial ingredients
Mangos avocados watermelon is good air popped popcorn a good wholegrain..
esentailly lean meats and fish fruits and vegies fat free dairy nuts in moderation and whole grains Drink mostly water and unsweetened teas
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

apprentic3 replied to jis4judy's response:
I am also trying to lose weight and I have no idea what the terminology means even after trying to read up on it. Carbs Calories Proteins....all i know is that protein is meat. I have no idea what contains carbs, how to count calories none of that stuff no matter how much I try to understand it I don't. Is there the same amount of calories in a drumstick as in a the chicken wings or does the whole chicken have the same amount of calories regardless of how much u eat? Im clueless

I'm looking for something that simply says. Everymorning, a sandwich, eggs or egg whites orange juice no sugar water....snack, any fruit not more than 2-3, lunch chicken but not steak etc. Evening snack fruit and or veggies water juice. Dinner chicken or no? carrots? water juice no later than 6-7pm?

Saying things like have portion of protein, 200 carbs, 200 calories is like greek to me. I have no idea how that translate into a meal on a plate.

Any ideas on how I can obtain the laymans version of a diet plan for weight loss because I'm enrolled in a gym but my poor diet takes away any work i do

jis4judy replied to apprentic3's response:
Hi apprentic
here are 2 links I found enlightening about explaining carbs proteins etc
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

and a nice place to log your foods

https://www.fitday.com

these 2 links helped me form my plan for better health that resulted in weight removale
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

ds291989 responded:
If you're mixing lean protein with the fiber in fruits and veggies, you should lose weight. I lose the most weight on the smoothie day of the Overnight Diet, and mix fat free yogurt, protein powder, and any combination of fruits and veggies. You can drink smoothies all day long and I've lost like two pounds each week.

kaykillen replied to jis4judy's response:
yes maam. thank you. I am asian specifically in the southeast.
we rarely get yogurt or dairy. milk sometimes like 3 times a week and less. I avoid process food as much as I can.

i Eat 3 meals a day. oatmeal my main carb. fish or meat. veggies. salad or sauted. and fruits sometimes. i am worried if i have enough iron because I go to gym everyday and lift weights to build enough muscle to have a faster metabolism

kaykillen replied to apprentic3's response:
it is very very hard to start a diet. but when you start eating less. your stomach will get used to eat

PetuniaPea replied to apprentic3's response:
Hi,
Just want to put in my two cents that protein is not just found in meat! As someone who doesn't eat meat or consume dairy products, I get my protein from beans, nuts, seeds, other legumes, vegan protein powders, like hemp protein powder as one example, and whole grains like quinoa contain protein as well!

Read the links provided by Jis4Judy, but if you want to have fun and are of college age, why not sign up for a basic nutrition class at a community college? I took a class about 10 years ago I found it to be fun and informative...and I've never forgotten all the info! You won't regret it!

Also, you got the right point, it all seems soooo complicated these days! Personally, I don't worry about "how many grams of carbs should I have," or "should I eat or drink juice after 7pm." I just simply focus on eating real, whole foods...and I try to include the big three--carbs, fat, and protein with each meal...it's good for maintaining weight, blood sugar levels, energy levels, etc. Also figuring out how many calories you need to lose or maintain weight is always good to do, just don't go overboard and become obsessed with counting calories! Have fun and enjoy good food!

Examples of a meal and 2 snacks with carbs, fat, and protein:

A quinoa and bean bowl:
Quinoa- contains mostly carbs, little fat, and some protein!
Avocado slices- contains mostly fat and some carbs.
Beans- contains mostly carbs and good amount of protein.
Tomatoes and salsa- contains carbs.

A mid morning snack:
Apple- contains carbs.
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds- contains fat and protein.

A mid afternoon snack:
Orange- contains carbs.
1/4 cup mixed nuts- contains fat and protein.

Hope this helps!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

PetuniaPea responded:
Example of 6 "meals" a day, if that's what you want to do!

1. BREAKFAST: almond or soy milk, protein powder, and banana and blueberry smoothie...do you have a blender?

2. SNACK: apple, papaya, pineapple, grapes or your fave fruit, and handful of almonds or your favorite nuts

3. LUNCH: chicken pieces (or bean! i'm vegan...) atop a salad with lots of veggies and light dressing...Asian dressing is tasty! Or olive oil and fresh lime sqeezed onto it.

4. SNACK: edemame or orange slices or seaweed snack, with a small handful of pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.

5. DINNER: Asian stir fry using very little rice bran oil (or coconut oil, which is what I use!) and your favorite sliced veggies and bean sprouts and bok choy. Mix up the protein source: tofu one night, chicken the next, fish the next. Try having it with brown rice, a whole grain that's very filling. Stir fry is also tasty with thin rice noodles, but there's no fiber in rice noodles.

6. DESSERT: choose from the following: berries (fresh or frozen), plum, apricot, peach, yogurt (I get a non-dairy yogurt made of almond milk...there's soy yogurt as well), a couple dates, raisins, or prune, a low-cal fiber/fruit/nut bar (can you see if you have Larabars where you are from? They are my FAVORITE... www.larabars.com ).

Good luck, kaykillen
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

more effective weight loss pointers
primary all time tip is to devour wholesome and watch what you are eating, however now not vital how so much of food you consume. you may ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.