Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Can Garcinia Cambogia and Phentermine be taken together?
Teebs82 posted:
Good morning!
I know this may seem like a very dumb question but I was just curious. I have been taking phentermine for weight loss for about week and a half and am down 7 pounds. I recently saw some articles on the benefits of garcinia cambogia and I liked what I read. I don't want to mix the two if there are issues, as I'm continuing to take the phentermine, but wondered if I could take both?
I'm not someone who thinks I can lose weight without trying or thinks there is some "magic pill." I have been working out 4 to 6 times a week for the past year, completely changed my diet (went gluten free in October '12 - wheat sensitivity), count calories, only drink water and decaf tea and have yet to see much in results. I have lost some inches but my weight will NOT budge. I was prescribed phentermine when I went to get my thryoid tested (which came back normal) and only in the last week of taking that have I seen any weight come off. I have tried everything the right way and just was at my wit's end seeing zero results so I wanted to find something to help me along.
I have struggled with my weight for the past 8 years (since diagnosis of intersitial cystitis) and it just does NOT want to come off for some reason. I would ideally like to lose about 85 pounds but would be happy with 50, if I could just GET there....
I'm lost on what else to do and any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brunosbud responded:
Please consult your physician and let them know everything you're taking. A close friend is taking Elmiron for interstitial cystitis...I've seen it's side effects. You can't stop taking this med once you're on it but you don't want to be taking this drug, long term, either; it's a Catch-22. The weight is a "symptom". Just like the Interstitial Cystitis is a "symptom"...Please focus on proper diet, exercise and get plenty of rest to recapture your good health. If you do that, the "symptoms" will begin to fade.

Teebs82 replied to brunosbud's response:
I have called my doctor and am waiting for her answer. I won't take anything with another prescription without consulter her first!
I was on Elmiron myself when first diagnosed but the side effects were worse than my symptoms. So I haven't been on it for probably 7 years. I have controlled my IC through diet and exercise.
I just want to lose these extra pounds!

kriscat responded:
I just started taking Garcinia Cambogia. I havent seen too many positive comment about this! I had a gastric bypass in 03 and gained most of my weight back. Im at my wits end, an I know there is no miracle pill!

leilaniehernandez replied to Teebs82's response:
hi i want to know if your doctor gave u a answer am taking the same pills and i was looking in to taking garcinia cambogia too

Teebs82 replied to leilaniehernandez's response:
My doctor told me she didn't know enough about garcinia cambogia to properly answer the question. She suggested I talk to a pharmacist. I called around and from what I was told, it was safe to take together. Again, no one could say for absolutely certain, though. I opted not to take the two together just to be safe (and honestly to save money). I have been on the phentermine since the beginning of April and have lost 27 pounds. I'm only going to take one more month of it because I definitely don't want to stay on it long term but I'm hoping it will get me closer to my goal.
Sorry if that's not very helpful, but that's what I have found out.

leilaniehernandez replied to Teebs82's response:
thank u i will talk to a pharmacist i dint think about that

azdesertbloom replied to Teebs82's response:
Hi, may I ask if you don't mind, what you are doing to lose the weight? I have been on phentermine since the end of February and have hit a plateau at 22 pounds lost. I do have Hypohyroidism am considering the Garcinia Cambogia. My Dr said I could take it with the Phentermine and my thyroid med, but probably won't. I am just struggling trying to break through the wall with my weight loss.

jamieann21 replied to azdesertbloom's response:
Try reading this book. http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/05/19/gary-taubes-2010-why-we-get-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it-ebook/gary-taubes-2010-why-we-get-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it-ebook.pdf

I have been taking phentermine and following the diet in this book, per a dr.s protocol. So far, down 25lbs in 2 months.

Teebs82 replied to azdesertbloom's response:
azdesertbloom-
I don't mind you asking at all! I'm happy to share!
I work out on average 4 to 6 times per week. I am at the gym for at least an hour each time. I do weight lifting, zumba, step class and exercise machines for extra cardio (bike/elliptical/treadmill) and sometimes swim. I will also use the sauna for 15-20 minutes once or twice a week to help rid my body of toxins. I eat very healthy. Mostly fresh veggies, fruits, nuts and grains and small amounts of meat and dairy. I do not eat wheat at all. And I drink LOTS of water. I rarely drink pop or coffee (can't have caffeine), sometimes decaf iced tea (unsweetened) at home. Also I limit my sugar intake. Try not to go over 25 grams of added sugar (not natural sugar from fruits and veggies,those are ok) a day.
Even after all that, I still struggle to lose weight, hence my doctor prescribing phentermine. She said I was doing everything right to lose weight and besides being overweight was very healthy. Perfect blood pressure, no thyroid issues (had that tested), no blood sugar problems (tested that as well because diabetes runs in my family). She said that perhaps my metabolism just needed a boost. Apparently she was right because in the 2 months I took it, I lost about 25 pounds. And this was after struggling for over a YEAR to lose weight doing everything I mentioned above! I have been off phentermine for about 2 weeks now and have plateaued, but at least I have not gained! I plan to go back to the doctor for another month's worth but have to wait til payday as I don't have insurance and it isn't cheap to go in for appointments!
I'm hoping after my next month I will get down to (or at least close to) my first goal weight. If I can maintain from there I will be content, if I can lose more after even better!
I still have not taken the garcinia cambogia, though it seems it would be safe to take with phentermine. Perhaps when I finish completely with the phentermine I will give it a try, I know my husband was wanting to give it a shot as well.
Anyway, plateaus are tricky as I am there myself. Just keep working out and eating right, do NOT give up!!! Eventually our bodies will start to lose again. Try changing up your workout routine to push past a plateau. Our bodies get used to what we do so adding in different workouts will shock our bodies into burning more and shaping more. And keep up the cardio!
Hopefully I can get past my plateau as well! Good luck!

Teebs82 replied to jamieann21's response:
jamieann21 -
I downloaded this and will be reading it, thanks!
I also lost 25 lbs in 2 months on phentermine. I'm off it right now (about 2 weeks) until I can get back in to the doctor. Maintaining at my current weight but haven't lost (but happy to be gaining, lol).
Hopefully another month on phentermine will help get me where I need to be!

Hdj8498 replied to Teebs82's response:
I have been on the adipex since the first week in April and have lost 30 pounds. I am wanting to come off of it now because it is making me so angry and paranoid about everything. I have hit my goal weight and I do not need to loose anymore. After reading all of the stuff about people coming off and gaining all there weight back I am now worried. I wanted to start the garcinia cambogia as I am coming off the adipex just to replace it, to help me maintain because it says there are no side affects. Does anyone know if this would be safe?

Hdj8498 replied to Hdj8498's response:
I didn't check the box to get the replays people will post so can you reply to this one so I will receive your answers thanks!

scappaticcio39 responded:
Well, my doctor just prescribed me Adipex and Garcinia Cambogia and did the same for my uncle. My uncle lost 30 pounds in 30 days and I just started yesterday but I felt great! Excited for results.

An_256591 responded:
I don't know

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 241 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.