Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

i have problem with passing stool
An_251549 posted:
am on a diet of 1000 to 1600 calories and i drink water continuously.
my diet includes dried fruits, nuts, apples, pomegranates, eggs, pulses, vegetables. I have problem passing stool. I haven't passed stool for the last 5 days. Do i need to see a doctor?

this is not the first time. Last time I didn't passed stool for 3 days but drinking 2 glasses of lukewarm water cured it. but this time it didn't work. I drink 4-5 glasses of water daily. Does anyone have a solution?

PetuniaPea responded:
Now I'm not a doctor or expert, but from what it sounds like, you are not drinking enough water for the amount of fiber you are eating! 4-5 cups of water is not enough.

The more fiber-rich foods you consume, the more water you should drink! The water makes the fiber expand, which makes it able to pass easily through your body. If you don't supply your body with enough water, the fiber gets stuck in your digestive system. Then you introduce even more fiber and that gets stuck, and it keeps building up, leading to all kinds of problems, including constipation.

So, get some bottles or a pitcher and fill it/them up each day and drink up! I recommend 8-13 cups daily of NON-caffinated liquids...water, almond milk, 100% fruit juice, and the broth in soups count!

Caution: I would NOT recommend going over 13 cups of liquids because if you drink TOO MUCH water, you can end up flushing out vital electrolytes...then you'll have a dangerous situation sometimes called "water intoxication." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

P.S. SEE YOUR DOCTOR for more information!!!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

shawnclark responded:
From your question it looks like you have problem with digestion or may be any colon problem and so result is getting difficuilty in passing stool.

Best natural way to resolve this problem is drink lots of fresh water and food contains fibre which will increase your colon health but this is continuous process and you'll get result definitely.

But for now in urgent you need medical help because 5 days without passing stool is very dangerous for health so it requires fast supplement to release it. I can recommended you Colopril for that it gives you instant relief and also you can continue with this product for better health

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.