Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Calorie Deficit Without Weight Loss...help!
aayotte13 posted:
I have been keeping track of my daily intake using My Fitness Pal, along with tracking my calorie burn using the Body Bugg, for 3 months now. I have consistently been in a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories per day, yet I have not seen the scale drop at all! I am 5' 6'', 140lbs, and I exercise 5-6 days per week, alternating cardio and weights. I follow a vegan diet, and according to my diet tracker, I am getting the sufficient nutrients and balance of carbs, fats, and protein daily. I allow one cheat day per week, but even on those days, I do not consume fried foods or those with saturated fats or processed sugar. I know that my body could be in better shape, and my weight goal is between 130-135 lbs. What should I be doing differently?

wheatsiren responded:
HI - I am in the same boat - now looking at various carb diets (I tried gluten free - it did nothing - esp. as a lot of gluten free products are starchy in their own way)
This inability to lose weight has gone on for years - and it is most frustrating but clearly, we're not alone. This week I am trying: more water, green tea, no white carbs, no hefty carbs past 2 pm and a lot of faith and meditation
I can't see however, out of all the low carb diets and insulin resistance diets - what is a reasonable amount of carb intake.

PetuniaPea responded:
Your body has a mind of it's own and is saying that it likes being 140lbs, it's a healthy weight! Those last 10 pounds are hard to lose, because in our minds, we have a goal weight--that weight were we're happy and think we will look perfect, but our bodies are saying, "Eh, I'm going to regulate myself now and stay at this weight, this is perfect."

Here's what I did for those 10 pounds I rid myself of and have kept off ever since. Maybe it'll work for you. Don't kill yourself! Do weight loss in increments. That means, right now, stop dieting! Consume the number of calories your body requires to maintain weight for the amount of activity you do. Do this for a month or so. Then cut calories again for a month or so. Then consume the number of calories you need to maintain your new weight for another month or so. Repeat until desired weight loss is reached. The timing is up to you-- every 3 weeks, or every 2 months. Just do weight loss in increments. In a way, you are tricking your body. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 241 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.