Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

30 lbs 10 years post-op- need jump start
debmalta posted:
I have gained 30 lbs since I had my GBS in 2003. I am so so upset with myself- I just can't control my appetite. My house is full of protein bars and chicken and other proteins I just gravitate to the carbs!! Has anyone tried other weight loss aids? I purchased some diet suppressants but I haven't taken any because I have bad memories from the way they made me feel... bad side effects... I am flabby and would love to get back down to 149- I was a very comfortable size 6. Originally I weighed 240 lbs when I had my GBS and got down to 129 lbs after my TT.... bounced back up to 149 where I stayed for YEARS... started gaining weight when I got pregnant with my son. I want to wear tank tops this summer but my arms are HUGE- I want to lose the weight- any suggestions for me to get jump started again??!!

PetuniaPea responded:
I have some suggestions I hope you find useful:

1. Don't take the diet pills! Trust your instincts...you are right for hesitating...

2. You are gravitating to carbs because your body is telling you that you need them for survival, for energy...for living!

3. Now, the issue is which kind of carbs. Rid yourself of refined carbs and stock your house with only complex carbs like sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, squash, any and all veggies, apples and berries and other fruit.

4. BUT don't make foods forbidden or off-limits. Someone who says, "I can't control my appetite," is sure to feel guilty, and feeling guilty leads to more binges. So if you are craving a cookie every once in a while...have it, eat it, savor it! Pretty soon, you'll realize you don't crave junk food anymore.

5. "Control your appetite" by eating the right combination of carbs, healthy fat, and protein at each meal. Eating mainly protein is only going to make you constantly hungry and in a state of constant craving, because the human body is designed to eat mostly carbs, some protein, and some healthy fat.

6. "Control your appetite" by making sure you have a set time to eat each meal of the day, stick to that routine day in and day out, and don't skip meals!

7. "Control your appetite" by having snacks in between meals if you feel truly hungry. Fruit, veggies, a small handful of nuts or seeds. Snacks like chips, cookies, pretzels, rice cakes, bread, candy, donuts are only going to make you hungry right after you consume them! Again, complex carbs like fruit with a bit of protein and healthy fat--like nuts--is a great snack that will keep you full until your next meal.

8. "Control your appetite" by doing something fun and distracting when you think you are hungry. Go for a walk, call or visit a friend, dance to music, do a scrapbooking project, go window shopping. If you are watching TV and get "hungry," stand up and do some exercises or stretches, or turn off the TV and distract yourself some other way. Resist those empty carbs!

9. Again, keep those empty carbs out of the house! The ice cream, too! If they are your weakness, they have no business in your cupboard or pantry! If you live with others who eat them, then refer to number 4.

10. Check out some health books from the library to get inspired. Some good authors include Dr. Joel Fuhrmann, Dr. Mark Hyman, Michael Pollan, Kathy Freston, Dr. Daniel Amen. They stress the importance of health and longevity...a side effect of working on that is...weight loss!

Good luck!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

sugar subs
I consaltated my allergy cookbook for this one.Alternative sweeteners include :honey,maple syrup,date sugar,fruit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.