Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Joined today...have a question
vonthia posted:
I joined today & looking over tracking food, found it extremely TINY, & i do not eat most of the foods, so it was extremely time consuming..e.g.i eat quinoa, brown rice...i could just keep the food log on my own..but i like the discipline & reminders, like drinking more water. And probably will get encouragement along the way..what to do, what to do!

brunosbud responded:
You are so close to making a "quantum change"...Quinoa (thanks Petunia Pea) and brown rice are excellent "starters". Now, just add some sweet potatoes, spinach and tomatoes to your everyday essentials and you're on your way to losing weight! You see, all of these foods are superfoods. They're far are more powerful and healthful than most anything you can put into your body.

Learning to eat whole foods, either raw (celery sticks, apples, avocados) or preparing them yourself is the "quantum change". It's a little hard, at first, but after a few weeks, it's doubtful you'll want to go back to eating your old "stuff". It's like quitting cigarettes or booze; the first taste after you've quit is nauseating. Also, once you start eating, "whole", life becomes much, much simpler. Things you eat for dinner will become the same things you eat for breakfast and lunch. You save large amounts of time and money. Your mood changes. You see immediate effects in eyes, teeth, hair, skin. Allergies begin to fade and eventually disappear. Things you thought had nothing to do with what you eat, you, finally, arrive at the realization...They have everything to do with what you eat!

That's the secret, vonthia. That's the "quantum change". If you have children, it's your fundamental obligation as a parent to give them this. They will never learn this anywhere, else!

PetuniaPea replied to brunosbud's response:
You're welcome, brunosbud!

vonthia, I used to be a calorie counter and would have spent all day trying to track my food intake...BUT what I realized is that if you eat whole foods, NO processed or packaged junk, and if you stay hydrated (8-13 cups of non-caffienated liquids), stay active, stay away from sugar, caffiene, fast food, and diet or regular soda...you don't have to count calories!!!!

I have been doing all of the above and I haven't gained a pound...even when I am famished and eat extra whole foods on any given day. I don't crave junk food, and any "emotional"or "bored" eating has STOPPED!

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.