Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Foods High in Calcium
brunosbud posted:
People think dairy foods (milk, yogurt, cheese) are necessary for providing calcium in your diet....Bull$#!*

For people who favor limited consumption of dairy, I'm providing this list of common foods high in calcium.

Here's the list...
1. Dried Herbs (parsley, sage, oregano, cumin, basil,
2. Sesame seeds
3. TOFU
4. Nuts
5. Green Leafy Vegetables (Kale, Spinach, Bok Choy)
6. Fish

• Calcium and phosphorus are essential materials for teeth, bone, hair, etc...
  • Vitamin D is the catalyst that allows the body to metabolize calcium to make teeth and bone. Bones undergo constant replacement throughout our life. Vitamin D has also been found to fight disease and illness and play an important role in weight loss. Vitamin D is the reason why sunlight is critical for good health; it's manufactured by your skin when exposed to direct sunlight. Vitamin D Supplementation may help but it's no substitute for sunlight.

brunosbud responded:
Now, isn't it starting to become remotely clear that weight loss has nothing to do with "quick fixes"? Can you see why ancient cultures made "meals" (soups, stews, sauces, salads) that have been past of from generation to generation and continue to be eaten, today?

And, finally, can you see how processed foods, through preservation, taste enhancement and heat sterilization, "obliterate" essential nutrients necessary for good health?

It's not just possible but simple to buy "quick fixes", get the help you need to lose the pounds and never change your diet and do little exercise!...

Just starve. Not easy; just simple...

PetuniaPea responded:
The dairy industry has claimed that "dairy products reduce belly fat." Fitness magazines, TV shows, even a Reader's Digest article on weight loss made these claims RECENTLY.

YET, the dairy industry has been sued YEARS AGO for making these FALSE CLAIMS that "dairy aids in weight loss," and they can no longer advertise as such, according to the Federal Trade Commission. Available research does not support these claims of weight-loss.

http://pcrm.org/search/?cid=597 :

"The dairy industry's weight-loss campaign was based largely on three small studies conducted by Michael Zemel, Ph.D., a professor of nutrition at the University of Tennessee whose funding came from dairy industry sources and who patented the dairy-weight-loss claim. Out of 27 randomized, controlled research trials investigating the effects of dairy products on body weight, Dr. Zemel's were the ONLY ONES showing a link between dairy consumption and weight loss."

THE DAIRY INDUSTRY HAS BANKED ON CONSUMERS NOT TAKING AN OVERLY CLOSE LOOK AT ITS HEALTH CLAIMS!

The bogus claim LIVES ON in the MEDIA, however! The myth gets perpetuated forevermore, and people gain weight and get sick and don't understand why...

I transcribed what some of the leading experts think about dairy products, and it's NOT GOOD...too much dairy leads to osteoporosis, for one thing!:
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts/14920-Milk-It-does-a-body-not-so-good-Or-maybe-so-so
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

brunosbud replied to PetuniaPea's response:
I eat eggs on occasion. Sometimes, I'll have a slice of cheese. I'll put a little milk in my coffee, too. No need, imo, to condemn an entire industry. In fact, I never say, don't eat this or don't eat that...

Because, the great equalizer is exercise; how much you move throughout the day...

With that said, the basic problem I see with most problem eaters is they simply have no clue how essential daily exercise is to the human body. They think it's "optional".

It is not! Evolutionary genetics has us "running for our lives" for at least the next half a million years. Maybe, then, exercise be optional. Let's pray we'll still have honeybees...

PetuniaPea replied to brunosbud's response:
This industry that you say not to condemn, is trying to put artifical sweeteners in flavored milk marketed to children...and NOT have it be labeled clearly, or at all, on the container! Shouldn't consumers be able to decide if they want artifical sweeteners in their "wholesome" milk?

This industry uses sly tactics and false marketing to make multi-billion dollars per year...anything for that profit!

If this industry were TRUTHFUL, maybe I wouldn't be so harsh.

Dr. Oz recommends dairy in small amounts. He had a married couple on the show who LOVED their dairy products and had them with every meal--cream, butter, milk, ice cream--they stated that "Milk builds strong bones," you know..."It does a body good," they chimed. Well, the husband's stats were terrible (high everything, considered obese), and the wife was no better, showing signs of OSTEOPENIA in her bones...the start of osteoporosis...and she is in her 30s!

brunosbud replied to PetuniaPea's response:
I agree that the diary industry has hung its hat on the premise that calcium is essential for "strong bones and teeth".

I cut way back on all dairy (ditto, for red meat) because:

1. All the calcium in the world won't mean diddly-squat if you're low in Vitamin D.
2. If your diet emphasizes green & leafy you'll have calcium coming out of your butt.
3. This country is experiencing an epidemic of osteoporosis, yet, we've been drinking milk and eating yogurt like crazy for the last 50 years!
4. Finally, what's far worse for your "bones and teeth" than not getting enough calcium in your diet?

That's right...being overweight.

PetuniaPea replied to brunosbud's response:
Yes, and you forgot about magnesium. Most people are deficient in magnesium, which is equally as important as calcium and vitamin D in building strong bones. They, as well as other nutrients like vitamin C, boron, iron, etc (the list goes on and on) all work synergistically to build strong bones. But somehow all we hear about is calcium. Brainwashing, anyone?

Everyone is overdosing on calcium through excessive dairy, PLUS on top of that, they take a megadose calcium supplement...and unfortunately they are programmed to think that they are doing a good thing, when in fact it's quite dangerous.

I mentioned that most folks are deficient in magnesium, which is in abundance in edemame, veggies, herbs, seeds, beans, and brazil nuts...getting too much calcium actually depletes what little magnesium people are even getting!!! Too much calcium upsets the delicate balance and leaches magnesium from the body.

And as you mentioned, vitamin D is also essential in building bones.

So without magnesium and vitamin D, plus add on an excess of calcium, it's no wonder Americans are getting osteoporosis and are wondering...why? How could this be?

And not just osteoporosis...but kidney stones, heart problems, and heart disease...studies have shown that excess calcium and lack of vitamin D (I'm gonna throw in magnesium even though the studies don't mention this essential mineral!) INCREASES MORTALITY RATES!

Yes, you die sooner rather than later!!!

BTW, my previous post above about that married couple...they were consuming uber amounts of dairy...and a simple test Dr. Oz gave them showed that they BOTH were lactose intolerant! So they've gone on a dairy free diet, and are still able to eat non-dairy products like non-dairy milk, cheese, and ice cream!

heartgann responded:
Well, reality wise most dairy products or dairy food contain calcium but the moment they are processed some of the additional benefits in them started to fluctuate. However, we can find food choices that are rich in calcium so not only those dairy products. It's so nice to know that we have other choices along the line.

Try the following food choices below that are rich in Calcium:
*Sesame and Flax seeds
*Tofu
*Dandelion Greens
*Collards
*Kale
*Almond and Brazil Nuts
*Herring
*Dried basil, oregano, spearmint

We talked about these food choices that are high in calcium when we attend designerdentures.com.au seminar last month. Foods that are high in calcium is very beneficial not only to our bones but to our teeth.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.