Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Why does Fiber make me constipated?
Anon_41638 posted:
I have always had loose stools, since young..since I can remember, and now I am 53. I have never ever had to use a laxative. Normal life and stress makes me move just fine

But after encouragement because one internal hemorrhoid was found a couple years ago, and I have one diverticuli, and fiber is supposed to help reduce cholesterol etc...I decided to use metamucil, (I like the wafers) I have upped my usual diet of fiber up and over 10 grams a day. 10 grams a day more than I usually do. I never looked for fiber and probably never even had more than 10 grams a day anyway.

I now have stool that is hard to pass. I drink 32 oz at least a day of water, so I know I am taking in enough. Frankly I am having the opposite effect of what the label says lol.

I eat fruit, but frankly this wonder drug of fiber does not work on me, and I have been at it for over a week.
Could it be my normal diet is sufficient and this really is having the opposite affect on me?

I just eat them because they fill me up, and I don't over eat if I eat two wafers..but whats up with all the hype of fiber?

Take the Poll

Does Fiber (Supplemental) Make You Constipated?
  • Yes Me too
  • No its like a laxative
  • Never heard of this
  • Could happen
vote
View Poll Results

totallywiggedout responded:
Sweety, please read my response to the HIGH CHOLESTEROL discussion here. Focus on the fiber part of the response.
The recommended daily intake of water is TWICE what you are drinking for adults. That's right, 64 oz a day. HALF A GALLON of water, not a quart.
The more fiber you eat, the more water you need to drink. The work together to maximize efficiency.
huggs
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Anon_41638 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
yea actually that is the water I use to choke down the fiber (the addition to fiber) I actually do drink twice that amount because I work out as well. problem is I seem to be producing stool that does not want to pass quickly when filled wit fiber, since my normally loose stools (with out additional fiber) pass effortlessly.

Hence my delemna...the fiber isnt making "life happy" it is changing the game play...given that..I would need to go even more above and beyond to 70 or 80 oz a day then to get the stool to pass. frankly, 2 quarts a day and a slow movement of stool is all I can stand. I am about ready to throw in that fiber towel..it does "make me sad" lol

totallywiggedout replied to Anon_41638's response:
Hi Anon, how are you getting your fiber? Is it with high fiber foods or granulated, pills or what?
Do you get enough oils in your diet? Things like walnuts, almonds, shredded coconut, Sardines, avocados,Extra Virgin olive oil, Extra Virgin Coconut oil, Walnut oil and grapeseed oil are all "heart healthy" and provide some much needed "lubrication" for your system too.
I'm throwing out possibilities here, lol. Just trying to help, but as you are finding out, sometimes it's not only fiber that your system needs.
stick with it. Something, or more likely a combination of somethings , is going to do the trick for you.

kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Rattler72 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
It is important to drink at least 2 liters of water or fluids every day when using fiber supplements. If you don't drink enough you may get constipated.

Anon_161666 responded:
The best way to prevent constipation is to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water and exercise, daily.

This post is confusing because:

1. Fiber, generally, does not make people constipated.
2. Insufficient water consumption will cause constipation.
3. Fiber supplements like Metamucil are recommended to help prevent constipation for people who don't consume enough fiber from their diet.
4. Weak digestion (due to normal aging or lack of exercise) can result in constipation.
5. Frequent use (or misuse) of laxatives can cause constipation.
6. Constipation results when stool is retained in the colon and becomes dried out, hard and difficult to pass.

• FDA Recommended daily fiber requirements for adults: 30-40 grams/day
  • Soft stools may mean there is increased fat in the stools, called steatorrhea.
  • Rapidly sinking stool can indicate that a person isn't eating enough fiber-rich foods, such as vegetables, fruits, and whole grains, or drinking enough water. This stool is often dark because they have been sitting in the intestines for a prolonged time.
  • Soft stools may indicate weak digestion brought on by stress and poor diet.
  • Diverticular disease is diagnosed when a colon shows signs of the development of small, bulging pouches called diverticuli. The best way to treat diverticulosis is to avoid constipation.

Laxative Abuse:

Laxative abuse is commonly associated with eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia and binging because there are many misconceptions about it being safe.

Estimates run as high as 20 million Americans suffer from laxative abuse. Laxative dependence occurs when peristalsis (wave-like contraction of the colon) can no longer be achieved naturally and must be stimulated through drugs. Potassium imbalance from laxative abuse results when the intestines can't absorb nutrients from digestion fast enough. Another concern is permanent damage the digestive tract after years of laxative abuse.

Helpful Tips

The Venus Factor Review
Here Is the Review Of Venus Factor Scam For the Complete Solution of Weight Loss: Get Prevention from Exta fat forever. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.