Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Is cellulose useless only because it cannot be digested?
Azayi posted:
Cellulose is an organic compound, which is the structural component of the primary cell wall of green plants. Cellulose was considered to be useless in the past, because it cannot be digested by human and provide energy to our body. However, cellulose has been identified to be useful to treat obesity, since it mainly acts as a booster to digestion system and is often referred to as "dietary fiber". Moreover, cellulose, surprisingly, leads to a feeling of full without providing any extra energy.
Dietary fiber has many functions in diet, one of which may be to aid in energy intake control and reduced risk for development of obesity. The role of dietary fiber in energy intake regulation and obesity development is related to its unique physical and chemical properties that aid in early signals of satiation and enhanced or prolonged signals of satiety. Early signals of satiation may be induced through cephalic- and gastric-phase responses related to the bulking effects of dietary fiber on energy density and palatability, whereas the viscosity-producing effects of certain fibers may enhance satiety through intestinal-phase events related to modified gastrointestinal function and subsequent delay in fat absorption.
In general, fiber-rich diets, whether achieved through fiber supplementation or incorporation of high fiber foods into meals, have a reduced energy density compared with high fat diets. This is related to fiber's ability to add bulk and weight to the diet.
Cellulose is also an advantage of herbal weight-loss products. Let's take Meizitang , which I found on the internet, as an example, it contains the extract of green tea as an important ingredient. Green tea provides not only a variety of enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, caffeine, but also cellulose or dietary fiber. What's more, herbal products require simple raw material and manufacturing process, which certainly reduce the cost of producing.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.