Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Raspberry Ketones or Phenocal?
lusie posted:
Has anyone tried the raspberry ketones or Phenocal? I have heard great things about both but I am confused which one to choose! If anyone has tried plzz let me know which one I should go for, Thanks!

AntonioPablo responded:
I have read lot of reviews saying raspberry ketones contains high amount of caffeine which is harmful to our heart health. While in my opinion phenocal contains comparatively natural ingredients than raspberry ketones. So you have to go for Phenocal !!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Let's first look at Phenocal. This is a supplement manufactured by Pharmaxa labs in Florida. The ingredient label includes a large group of ingredients including a proprietary blend (meaning you don't know what they blended). From cocoa extract, L-Tyrosine and green leaf tea, to hoodia and yerba mate, it looks like they threw in the kitchen sink as well. Of interest, Hoodia is now banned in the EU/UK due to a 2011 ruling prohibiting the sale of this ingredient. Further, there are no reference to evidence based clinical studies to back up the claims to "turbo charge metabolism" or control appetite.
The bottom line: Save your money.

Regarding the raspberry ketones, this is a a chemical produced by the red raspberry that, when tested in the lab or in some animal studies, was found to possibly increase metabolism modestly. To date, there is no evidence based science studies to back any claim that this extract will affect weight loss.
The bottom line: Save your money. Invest in the real thing instead. Add blueberries for extra anti-oxidation. And stick with an active lifestyle and appropriate amounts of whole foods. Spend your money on a new pair of sneakers!

Good luck!

Dr. Peeke

carolina_manroe replied to AntonioPablo's response:
"Raspberry ketone" everyone know about this. But does it really work to lose weight?
There is no scientific proof about its effectiveness. So I dont think that raspberry ketone is best choice for weight loss. Although few manufacturer comes with combination of other weight loss ingredients together with raspberry ketone and that could be effective in weight loss.

On other hand phenocal is natural weight loss product with no known side effects.You can read more about phenocal here: http://goo.gl/v11Hlj

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.