Skip to content

Announcements

New Healthy Lifestyle
ptalady posted:
I am embarking on a new lifestyle! I have to stay off of blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds. Biking twice a day for 30 minutes each, need to increase to an hour. I need to definitely eat better. Cholesterol meds made liver levels go up, normal now. Now scared of them! I will control with diet and exercise. I need to lose the weight for son's wedding anyway. Also going to do 10 minute trainer workouts, need to convince myself in the morning, LOL.

brunosbud responded:
I don't take meds of any kind but that's because I've been doing several things, regularly, for years...

1. I watch what I eat.
2. I walk twice a day to control blood pressure, cholesterol & blood sugar (for Type 2 Diabetes).
3. I check my blood pressure, weight and glucose, regularly.
4. I see my doctor at least once a year to get a comprehensive physical.
5. I stopped smoking and drinking.

In terms of symptomology, what's the difference between weight gain, high cholesterol and high blood sugar than the throbbing pain from rheumatoid arthritis, migraine headaches or an impacted tooth? In all cases, it's the body's way of telling you, "Hey, watch what you're doing! Please, stop!"

With that said, I'd never advise anyone to go off their meds, regardless what they're for, without their physician's approval. I encourage your efforts, ptalady, and, no matter the outcome, I know a healthy lifestyle is key to a happy, balanced life for both you and your family. I don't take meds because I don't need them, anymore. Even for diabetes, I've earned the right to be med-free. I know this because I check; I'm not "guessing". So, congrats with the changes but please see your doctor, regularly, to make sure your transition to a better life is with limited risk, as well. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.