Skip to content

Announcements

Weight loss
Daks1154 posted:
I am frustrated with not being able to lose weight. I have type 2 diabetes and have been taking metformin. I eat very healthy and work out 4 to 5 days a week and I drink plenty of water. The weight just isn't coming off. I know they say that it is about the inches you lose but I've been told my doctors I need to bring my weight down. I'm frustrated with not seeing the weight come off when I "think" I am doing everything right. I do allow myself to have a cheat day once a week. If anyone has some helpful advice I would appreciate it. thanks

totallywiggedout responded:
Time to start tracking your daily intake on the food and fitness planner...thinking you are eating right isn't the same as knowing. Track calories and exercise as required for your goal and you should find the culprits that are sabotaging your efforts.

Kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

cjpxx responded:
keep in mind that I know NOTHING about type 2 diabetes, so please take this advice with that grain of salt and alter it based on what you already know that you have to do.

Here you go:

Breakfast = your biggest meal of the day. Forget most of the breakfast foods. Just think about it. Honestly, is this healthy? Just because it's a breakfast food doesn't mean I should eat it for breakfast. Don't be afraid to eat lunch and dinner/supper foods for breakfast. This isn't a meal, though. If you get up a 5:30, you can eat... oh... about 1 CUP worth of food. 6:30, another cup worth of food. 7:30, grab another cup worth of food. That much with a little bit of coffee will get you going.

Lunch = there is no such thing. Again... you're eating heavier earlier in the day but it might be 1 cup worth of food at 9 or 10, and another cup worth of food at noon. At one, you eat just a little bit less than a cup.

Dinner = spreads out more. Instead of 1 cup worth of food at 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9.... it's more like 4, and 7. Dinner is your smallest meal.

You should drop the weight. Now, I'm just using an illustration, but if this is a lot more food or a lot less food than what you normally eat, don't adjust to my numbers. Do you know if your body will do good if you work to teach it that it has food coming, and doesn't need to hold onto the food? What I am giving you keeps the same same amount that you are eating now.... because diets can throw some people's bodies into shock or under stress and eating less can teach a person's body to grab onto that food. So for this tip - all you are doing is splitting up your meals into snacks through the day. Same amount. Same food. It's easier on your body.

Second tip: - again - please adjust this information accordingly because I am not informed on diabetes:

- toss the white sugar from your house and learn to use honey, agave nectar, and fruit. Example: If you have a lot of sugar in your diet, your body is going to crave it. Make yourself a fruit smoothie every morning if you have to to satisfy those cravings, but your smoothie operates under the same rules. Good sugar! That means skip the juice, until you can learn what juice you should and shouldn't buy and use just fruit, ice, and water.

- fast foods - seriously! When your body is craving that stuff, you've got to be strong and get through it. There is so much junk in at fast food restaurants that you shouldn't be putting into your body. Back to the sugar idea? McDonald's has oatmeal that's packed with sugar! Know what you are buying! Even Jamba Juice can give you something packed with sugars that you shouldn't be in taking.

I'm going to stop here since I am not informed on diabetes. Hope this helps.

cjpxx replied to cjpxx's response:
Not trying to encourage a bunch of fruit smoothies, though, either. Use them to cut down on sugar. Keep the sugar levels down! Even fruit! Even good sugars!

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.