Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

30th Birthday weight loss goals
HealthierMe28 posted:
Hello all,

(sorry for the long post)
I am new to WebMD and recently made a commitment to weight loss (after my 30th Birthday). I am a 5'10'' male and weigh 237 lbs. My goal is to lose 57 lbs (target weight 180 or slightly fewer pounds) in at most 1.5 years. I quit smoking cigarettes 6 months ago and am ready to start being healthier. I want to set a target date that is both realistic, but also reflects the lifestyle changes I have already begun to put in place. I am also aiming to reduce or eliminate my acid reflux (I have consulted the WebMD thingy on this). The lifestyle changes include:
A. changes in diet- (target eat 2000 or slightly fewer calories/day)
1. No more fast food or carbonated drinks (I used to regularly eat at Burger King and McDonalds)
2. Salads at least 1x per day - for the last 3 days I have ordered at least 1 salad per day from Subway. I take care to keep as healthy as possible while still getting some protein (double chicken breast).
3. Reduce as much as possible my before bed snack (this may help with the acid reflux I hear).

B. Implementation exercise plan- (target = minimum 30 minutes of moderate exercise at least 3x/week)
1. Cardio- I stationary bike to reduce the load on my bothersome knee (patellular tendinitis). Today was the 5th workout in 10 days (about half hour of stationary bike each).
2. Some machine and free-weights- I have hired regular weekly personal training sessions for at minimum the period of time that I am home from Graduate school (until late August 2013)

C. Other changes-
1. I quit smoking 6 months ago* but still use the non-carcinogenic electronic vaporizers that contain nicotine (but fortunately no tar)
2. Downloaded weight loss app onto Android by Noom

My questions are two-fold:
1. What is a reasonable lbs/week goal for me? I was thinking about 1 pound/week. This would get me to my goal by July 2014. Should I aim for a faster weight loss goal?

2. Any former (or current) smokers have any advice tailored for the daunting quit-smoking-while-losing-weight challenge? Personal experiences/tips?

Thanks in advance,
HealthierMe28

Take the Poll

How quickly should I aim to lose weight?
  • 1lbs/week
  • 1.25 lbs/week
  • 1.5 lbs/week
  • 1.75 lbs/week
  • 2lbs/week or more
vote
View Poll Results

vimal01 responded:
I had trouble losing weight,too But I finally found the system that worked for me and my friend I have free info about this on site http://fc4bdjq9v5glkmehuw2f-n7p9n.hop.clickbank.net/

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
199 of 244 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.