Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Struggling to get motivated
An_252340 posted:
hey WebMD community,
i just started my plan and i'm hoping that this will get me motivated to lose weight and feel better about myself.
Every since i was 16 i have been on and off diets and my weight fluctuates all the time. I always have the intention to get really healthy and loose weight but after a few days i lose all my motivation or i just cave and binge. Then i feel horrible and it all goes down hill from that point! I really need help to get myself motivated and to stay motivated!

brunosbud responded:
I will tell you what I know. Exercise is like cleaning the toilet. Nobody seeks "motivation" to clean toilets. You either know the importance of a clean toilet to personal hygiene, or..........you don't.

The people who exercise, daily, know it's the single greatest preventative health measure a person can do for themselves. And, because of this understanding, they perform exercise, regularly. And, anything you do everyday, becomes "habit".

Tell me, do you need "motivation" to put on your make-up?
I do...cause, I'm a guy. You struggle with exercise for the very same reason why I struggle with "make-up".

An_252370 responded:
I have the same problem, but we could help each other!
Let's start by walking 20 minutes every day. would you like to do that with me?
We can help each other!

LWTG123 replied to brunosbud's response:
I have to pipe in with my "no one size fits all". LOL
I'm a girl and need motivation to put on makeup. i.e. an outing or meeting new people or some other special occasion - otherwise, people can either look at my face as is or not look, their choice. ))

However, I don't need a lot of motivation to exercise - because - I enjoy it. I like to dance - so I do. I like to ride my bike - so I do. I like to play a little one on one bball with my son, so I do.

I really think that the trick to "exercise" is finding activitivities that you enjoy doing. In fact, if it were up to me, I would rename "exercise" and call it "fun". Not everyone has to spend a daily hour in the gym to feel good about themselves.

---just my 2 cents

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
201 of 246 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.