Skip to content

Announcements

What about brown rice...??
cindigal posted:
I just was reading a post in another group regarding rice and corn and how they are the worse to cook because of the starches in them. They say they convert into sugar more than other vegetables.

I am trying cut out alot of sugar in my diet but I like brown rice as side dish to some meals. So does it to apply to brown rice as well..?? If this is true, I will forego the brown rice for awhile and do veggies as a side dish. I know also that corn is also starchy and convert to sugar. I was going to do my shopping soon and was going to make tacos with chicken (which i cook alot) and buy the corn tortillas and baked them in the oven to make shells. Well the fact that they are made of corn, will it hurt me to make them a day or two.

I have eating spinach salad for days before the dinner, it's getting monotonous.. I only put chopped green onions, cucumbers and tomatoe on spinach salad. Also I like the Raspberry vinegerette that has a Lite version. It tastes great on the salad or any low sugar dressings. Anyways, back to the point, I want to know about the brown rice and corn tortillas.

cindigal

SharonNVirginia responded:
Hey Cindigal!

Congrats on beginning your journey.

Here's the scoop on grains:

whole grains are metabolized more slowly than refined grains
this is good because it gives your body a chance to use the nutrients instead of converting them to fat.

You can still have brown rice as a part of a successful weight loss diet if you limit the portion to 1/2 cup.

A good book to read is "You on a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management" By Michael F. Roizen, MD and Mehmet C. Oz, MD

It explains how our bodies use the food we eat and how we can make better choices without feeling deprived.

But you can get loads of info right here on Webmd and I would never be without the diet and fitness tracker. I enter everything I eat and drink and my exercize. It tells me how my nutritional intake is adding up.

Dieting by depriving yourself won't work because when you reach your goal weight, you will rush right back to the choices you made before and your weight will shoot back up. So, make changes you can keep. Substitute new better habits for old. You will succeed!

Mahnster responded:
Its all about the glycemic index. White rice is almost as high on the index as table sugar, both leading to pretty much storing it as fat. Think of the typical bodybuilder diet, what do you think? Chicken breast, brown rice, and broccoli. Can't get more balanced then that. Brown rice is fine for you. Check out my site at Http://mealtomuscle.com head over to the recipes section, food doesn't need to be boring.. So check out some of the recipes and open your eyes to a whole different side of clean eating, because its more about macro nutrients then it is calories. Healthy fats and protein is how you lose fat. Sounds like you've made some great choices already, so keep up the good work. Check out the site.. you won't be disappointed.

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.