Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Losing weight after stopping antidepressants
An_252557 posted:
I am 25 and recently discontinued Pristiq. I started taking it about 7 months ago to help overcome a period of intense anxiety and insomnia that lead to depression. The drug worked spectacularly, and I had minimal side effects, except for a 10 lb weight gain with significant breast growth, both of which my doctor assured me were "normal." I have been feeling better for a while now, and I was frustrated with the weight I had gained despite my incredibly disciplined eating and exercise habits. I discontinued Pristiq about 4 weeks ago, and tapered off with the help of a 7 day dose of prozac to counter any withdrawal symptoms. I feel great, the only problem is I can't seem to lose a single pound. I have been working out like a maniac and carefully watching what I eat, but the scale doesn't budge, and my boobs are still at least a cup size larger than they were before I went on pristiq. I asked my doctor and she assured me that the drug should be out of my system now, so this doesn't make any sense. Is it normal for a person's body to hold on to the weight gained from antidepressants despite the drug being out of their system for nearly a month? I'm starting to get very frustrated and worried that this weight gain is somehow permanent. Any personal stories or ideas about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

brunosbud responded:
When a person feels intense pain and takes pain killers, sometimes something happens as a result of the diminished pain. When a person takes insulin to treat high blood glucose, sometimes something happens as a result of the lowered blood sugar. When a person takes a corticosteroid like prednisone to prevent post surgical organ rejection, sometimes something happens as a result of the reduced immune response.

...and these "somethings" are not always good.

Our bodies develop "symptoms" such as pain, anxiety, numbness, inflammation, fatigue, loss (or gain) in appetite and weight gain in response to changing environmental, emotional or physical conditions to warn or protect us from further harm.

When we use drugs, we don't change or remove the root cause of the "symptoms"...all we're doing is suppressing or masking it's effect to make life "tolerable".

The problem is our bodies easily develop addictions to drugs (and food, too) for good reason. It makes life easier. And, the more "easier" it makes for us, the more vicious and tenacious the "fix". You are addicted, your body wants the drug back and it's created a new "symptom" in response to these changes you've made. Be patient and try to stop the drugs.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
199 of 244 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.