Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Should I be worried about weight and or what I eat?
RWG1623 posted:
Hi everyone not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but webmd seems like a good resource compared to some of the garbage forums out there.

To begin I am a 20 year-old college student currently going to school in Boston, I was previously a college varsity athlete. I am from Colorado and grew up doing lots of outdoor activities, I played tennis in high school as well as several other sports (cycling, ice skating). Anyway with that introduction getting to the question at hand. I am working away from home this summer and therefore have been eating out a fair amount, but also doing some cooking for myself. I have always eaten healthy and balanced. In doing so i pretty much everything from salads vegetables and fruit to burgers and fries to burritos, to pasta and breads to eggs . I don't like butter or lots of salt (and avoid them and generally unhealthy additives). Essentially I eat what I feel like but try to avoid grease and limit my fried food (fries or other) intake to a minimum. I also don't really like sweets but won't say no to dessert every once and awhile.

Recently (this summer) i got on a calorie counting healthy eating and exercise binge (it just started one day randomly) to "get in shape". To the point I am 6'2" and around 147lbs (it fluctuates between 145-150). I would call myself athletic in build and I obviously enjoying activity (hiking, biking, etc. regularly).

Should I really be worried about what I eat? Or about whether or not I am in shape/my weight?

RWG1623 responded:
To clarify I have started feeling guilty when I eat everything that has any sense of unhealthy-ness. For example when I go out to a restaurant I am concerned with the caloric content (fats etc). And I try to minimize the calories in each meal. I feel guilty when I go to chipotle or noodles or even nice sit down restaurants (i seek tye lowest calorie entree etc) and when ineat some of my favorite foods breads and pastas.

Also I didn't mention earlier i don't eat standard fast food fare (McDonalds, KFC, etc unless absolutely the only thing to eat (ie on a road trip). I also don't drink soda at all.

brunosbud replied to RWG1623's response:
I'm 56 and you're 20. If there's one golden rule to take away from my generation is this: "Prevention" is a heckuva a lot smarter than "treatment". The best way to lose weight is to never have to.

If you wait until your forced to "treat" obesity, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis or heart disease, you've waited too late. "Treatment" is a dysfunctional and asinine health strategy.

Thus, in answer to your question: No matter what you weigh, seek to improve your health, everyday; make it your first priority! And, what's the second priority?

Passing this essential life-lesson on to the generation after yours.

SharonNVirginia responded:
You are not overweight or overfat. If you want to know more about eating healthfully, that is a good thing. But worrying or obsessing about it at your age is excessive. You could use the "diet & fitness tracker" under the "living healthy" tab above to track your food for a while. You may find that you are doing just fine or you may need a little tweaking. You are lucky to have such good tools to give you nutrition info. Good luck!

PetuniaPea responded:
No, you shouldn't be worried about your weight or what you eat! You're at a perfect weight (you could probably be in the 160s and be fine), and it's good you realize that your weight can normally fluctuate 5 or so pounds...some people obsess about staying at the exact weight, which can add unnecessary stress to their lives!

You shouldn't worry because worry and guilt are just going to bog you down. Too much guilt in your life could create a complex, and you could go down the path of binging or developing a really bad relationship with food.

You really don't need to worry about what you eat...you avoid grease, butter, salt, additives, and sweets! Every once in a while seems to be okay and is working for you based on your weight.

Don't feel guilty if you indulge yourself every once in a while...that's the only way to maintain a healthy view of food--not feeling guilt, that is. Basically, don't beat yourself up! Keep eating a diet of nutritious foods, so if you do treat yourself to a treat every once in a while, you won't feel bad because you eat a generally great diet.

And savor the treat...don't think of the sugar or fat or calories. A small, reasonable treat on occasion is not going to make you fat. Yes, a half carton of ice cream every night will, but a few small cookies once or twice a month won't!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

PetuniaPea replied to RWG1623's response:
It's a good thing to minimize the calories when going out to eat at sit-down restaurants. It's a good thing to be concerned about restaurant fare, as a lot of it can be unhealthy. But it's not okay to be obsessed about it.

For instance, I went on vacation recently and didn't think too much about calories...and I maintained my weight! I focused on eating healthy foods, because I want to have the energy to do things all day long. So, for instance, on one day, I had steel cut oatmeal with raisins for breakfast, a huge serving of guacamole and chips for lunch, I brought a bunch of almonds and cashews to snack on throughout the day, and I had vegan Indian food for dinner (samosa, channa masala, aloo gobi, and rice). (I'm vegan, by the way, if you hadn't noticed the meal plan!)

I focused on health and vitality as opposed to calories and fat, etc. And like you, I don't eat sweets, soda, fast food, etc, either! And I don't have any issues with my weight! Unlike you, I'm super short, 5'0" and weigh 100lbs!

Good luck in all your future endeavors!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

ChewTimer replied to PetuniaPea's response:
I created Chew Timer to help me control my bad habit of chewing to fast and eating too much ever since I was a kid. I have been using the FREE app myself for 3 weeks now. I just recently quit using the app because after using it for 3 weeks I have it in my head to count my chewing and Chew Timer has helped me get there on my own. I just needed a little help and I could not find it so I created it. It is available for FREE on Android now and in about 1 or 2 weeks when Apple ok's it will be available for free for the iPhone. The best thing about this app is you can set the time between vibrations or beeps and put it in your pocket so others don't look at you and say why can't you just count on your own. Why do you need help controlling your chewing are you nuts. A lot of people don't have a problem and don't understand why you have a problem with such a simple thing.

vimal01 responded:
I had trouble losing weight,too But I finally found the system that worked for me and my friend I have free info about this on site http://fc4bdjq9v5glkmehuw2f-n7p9n.hop.clickbank.net/

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.