Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Leg cramps while exercising
kbean30 posted:
I recently started a diet (11 days in) and since I've started this diet when I go to spin class I am getting really bad leg cramps in my calves as I cycle.
This diet includes eating a lot of veggies, protein (chicken, turkey, fish), fruit, and lot of water in take; it lacks dairy and carbs like bread.

What can I do to decease these cramps? I addition when I work out now I don't feel like I have a lot o energy, I feel as though every work out is a challenge.

I don't want to quiet this diet, because it's working but something has got to give.

Weareready responded:
I have had good experience with taking a magnesium supplement to ward off leg cramps. You could get tested for magnesium levels, or just start taking a supplement am and pm and see if it starts to help.

brunosbud responded:
By changing to this diet, you've drastically reduced salt & sugar intake. Your body will eventually adapt to lower levels but it will take time. Since spinning involves a lot of sweating, consider electrolyte and fluid replacement, before, during and after workouts.

On a side note, my dog was very sick recently and losing lots of water, hourly. Instead paying 6 bucks a bottle for "pedialyte", I made my own...1 qt water, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

Helpful Tips

Fast and easy
I have always found that eating healthy and cutting back on sugary drinks has worked for me. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.