Leg cramps while exercising
kbean30 posted:
I recently started a diet (11 days in) and since I've started this diet when I go to spin class I am getting really bad leg cramps in my calves as I cycle.
This diet includes eating a lot of veggies, protein (chicken, turkey, fish), fruit, and lot of water in take; it lacks dairy and carbs like bread.

What can I do to decease these cramps? I addition when I work out now I don't feel like I have a lot o energy, I feel as though every work out is a challenge.

I don't want to quiet this diet, because it's working but something has got to give.

Weareready responded:
I have had good experience with taking a magnesium supplement to ward off leg cramps. You could get tested for magnesium levels, or just start taking a supplement am and pm and see if it starts to help.

brunosbud responded:
By changing to this diet, you've drastically reduced salt & sugar intake. Your body will eventually adapt to lower levels but it will take time. Since spinning involves a lot of sweating, consider electrolyte and fluid replacement, before, during and after workouts.

On a side note, my dog was very sick recently and losing lots of water, hourly. Instead paying 6 bucks a bottle for "pedialyte", I made my own...1 qt water, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.