Starting anew
trynagain2succeed13 posted:
Hi there. I'm reaching out here to become the healthier person I seek. I'm presently 40 yrs old and 287 lbs. I'm making small changes this year and am ready to embark on this one. I reviewed the WebMD checklist and it advised me to seek support. I would like to meet people on here who I can learn from and even help. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Barbara

brunosbud responded:
From my personal experience, losing weight was not difficult because I had previous experience with ending addictive behavior. I am both a recovering alcoholic and I smoked, heavily, for 25 years, too. Because weight loss is primarily ending addiction to high red meat & fry fat, high starch & high sugar foods, I knew I could overcome what I had to overcome.

Can you do what you have to do? Have you any previous experience with ending addictive behavior. Do you plan to "wean" or go "cold turkey"?

The reason why it was hard to stop drinking was due to my addiction to alcohol. The reason why it was hard to stop smoking was due to my addiction to nicotine. The reason why it was hard to stop over-eating was due to my addiction to the massive amounts of blood sugar I dumped into my system and the insulin resistance that developed over time from eating so dangerously. Make no mistake, the psycho-physiological urge to eat what you've eaten in the past is no less addictive than alcohol or cigarettes. In fact, imo, it's greater.

Are you prepared to do what has to be done? Have you any previous experience with ending addictive behaviors? Are you aware that once you stop eating bad foods, just like alcohol and cigarettes, you can't go back and eat just "a little bit"? (actually, once you quit for good, you'll have no desire to eat that way, ever again.)

YamaGogo responded:
Congratulations on making the decision to take control of your life. Take it one day at a time and those small changes should turn into big ones!

I just started today but have been wanting to get back in shape for the past 10 years. I walk several times a week going 2-4 miles each time, and now that it is summer, I can also exercise in the pool. I work from home so access to snacks etc is all too easy so I try not to have them in the house. My goal is 25-30 pounds by year-end. I plan to add some aerobic activity such as dancing to my favorite music and cutting down on carbs. Sounds simple but I believe my metabolism has slowed making it harder to lose. Guess I need some muscle toning to counter that.