Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Fad Diet as potential kickstart
bmitd67 posted:
Can I use something like the Virgin Diet as a kickstarter to a healthier, more balanced eating lifestyle (like mediterranean diet).

I am a 45 yr old black man. I am about 40 lbs over BMI median. I have hyperaldosterone related hypertension and am pre-diabetic. My wife, who has loosely followed Blood-type diet for over a decade, wants to start the Virgin Diet.

I know from self exam and some therapy that my weight gain is a result of sedentary life and emotional eating/depression.

jis4judy responded:
Hi I have no idea what that diet is But I can tell you that to remove weight the healthy way is to eat as close to nature as you can fruits vegies whole grains lean meats nuts in moderation fat free or low fat dairy these are the nakeings of a life style change diets work while you ar on them but they usually end you regain etc chnge the way you eat forever is the key
stay away from fast foods and processed foods become an avid label reader and refuse to buy things that have trans fats in it and avoid high frucos corn syrup Good hug and hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

PetuniaPea responded:
I DO know about the Virgin diet from the PBS show, and although I don't believe in fad diets, I can see some good things about this diet. Most of the foods she mentions to avoid are inflammatory to most, if not all people, so your health will actually improve. Not sure if the weight will magically come off, though!

I already don't eat dairy and eggs because I'm vegan. Peanuts and corn do cause an inflammatory response in me (acne), so I avoid them.

I cut out sugar and artificial sweeteners two years ago, and this alone I feel helped with weight loss! If you just cut out one thing, make it this!!! Believe it or not, cutting out sugar can help with your emotional eating and depression.

And finally, I don't really eat a lot of soy...I'll have it every once in a while. Not sure if I believe that soy can make you fat!

So, bottom line, cutting these out won't hurt and can only help as far as your overall health is concerned...and weight loss might follow...as long as you replace these things to avoid with lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats. If things work out and you're losing weight and getting healthy, then turn this fad diet into a lifestyle change and follow it the rest of your life! For me, I never plan on returning to a life of sugar...I was addicted...and now I'm free!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

bmitd67 replied to jis4judy's response:
We work to eat local and seasonal. We belong to a CSA farm and shop farmer's market mostly so I don't worry about labels too much.

SharonNVirginia replied to bmitd67's response:
No diets!

Only eat the way you intend to eat the rest of your life.

Ask yourself: "Am I ready to change permanently? Will I pursue this journey whereever it leads? Am I willing to always and forever eat differently from the average American?"

Too many people go on a "diet" as a temporary solution to a permanent problem. They start on a fad diet as a "kickstart" and end up losing more muscle mass than fat.

Food journaling is a necessary step toward self-knowledge. Exercize is the difference between weight that stays off and weight that stays on.

I have lost only 1 pound a week over the past 4 months, but while I started out in a big rush, I am now content with slow loss because I know it is better than steady weight or gaining.

bmitd67 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
I appreciate that but I think need help with accountability more than diet. Like I said above we eat healthily. Unlike me, My wife believes we need more than just portion control. I hope if we can get the ball rolling with this we can modify into a more reasonable eating lifestyle based on the seasonal/local/mostly plant/mostly whole grain diet we already follow.

PetuniaPea responded:
Forgot to mention that I also haven't touched gluten in years due to an intolerance...so I guess I forgot to mention it because it's not even part of my life!

So besides the occasional edemame or tofu, I'm pretty much--inadvertently--following the Virgin Diet and I feel great, haven't been sick in forever (besides one verrry minor cold last winter that lasted for 6 days total), and I have tons of energy...and no weight problems anymore (after giving up sugar, as mentioned above!). So give it a shot for health reasons, and keep us posted on how you and your wife are doing!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

SusanHappySpringer responded:
Hi bmitd67
My husband and I have been on the Skinny Coach plan with Dr Tiffany Wright for the last few months and that has helped us lose weight but has particularly addressed the emotional eating you refer to.
I don't nut through the cupboards anymore for sweet things etc.
Best wishes
Susan

bmitd67 replied to SusanHappySpringer's response:
how? Is it the diet suggested or is Dr. Wright looking at the underlying issues?

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.