Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

A Super Low Calorie Dinner (My Recipe!)
PetuniaPea posted:
If you've overindulged or are just looking to enjoy a low calorie dinner that's really delicious and super filling, try this! I inadvertently lost a couple pounds by having this for dinner the past couple months. By the way, it's vegan, but can be modified!

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes or less!

Ingredients:

6 oz cubed eggplant (40 calories)

1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes (you can use your favorite marinara sauce) (approx 30 calories for the crushed tomato; not sure about marinara)

1/2 cup or your favorite cooked beans (I like garbanzo or white beans) (approx 120 calories)

A handful of kale is optional (10 calories)

Half a red, orange, or yellow pepper, thinly sliced is optional, too...I don't like green! (15 calories)

1/4 cup of Daiya or other brand shredded vegan mozzarella (90 calories) You can use regular skim shredded mozzarella for comparable calories.

Oregano and/or other spices

What to do:

Add crushed tomato to a pan on medium/low heat. No unnecessary oil is needed.

If you wish to add the sliced peppers, now is the time. Cook for a few minutes. Then...

Add cubed eggplant.

Add cooked beans.

Add oregano and other spices of your choice. Also add a bit of salt (I sprinkle on a bit of Morton Lite Salt). If you like black pepper, go for it and sprinkle some on, too.

Cover and cook for a few minutes. Stir occasionally.

If you want to add the kale, do so now (adding it too early can overcook it). Then cover and cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the last minute or two, add the mozzarella and cook until it melts.

Voila! Dinner is served! Put it into a bowl and see how huge your dinner is!

If you used all of the above ingredients, your dinner was just 305 calories! If you didn't use the peppers, kale, mozzerella, etc, subtract accordingly.

Tips:

No oil is used, so if things start to look a little dry during cooking and is sticking a bit, add a smidge of water...and be sure to stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

I like the eggplant to be soft, but not translucent. When it becomes translucent, it seems to be a bit overcooked.

Also, the kale should be wilted and bright green when done...if it's dark and mushy, it's overcooked.

Experiment with different Italian sauces! I prefer crushed tomatoes because there's no garlic in it, which happens to give me really bad breath, like, worse than other people! Seriously.

ENJOY!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

PetuniaPea responded:
Forgot to mention that you can add a side of homemade baked fries (sweet potato or regular) for 110-120 calories.

Just cut up a potato into fries, spray a light coating of olive oil or coconut oil spray (find it at Trader Joes) onto a baking sheet, place the fries on it in a single layer, spray them real quick and add a light sprinkle of salt, and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, turning fries once (ovens vary).

So you can enjoy my eggplant/bean/tomato dish, a side of homemade fries, and even throw in a sweet, ripe nectarine or peach for 50 calories...and you have yourself a nutritious, super filling--possibly vegan if you don't use real mozzarella--dinner and dessert for about (or less than) 475 calories!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

Fast and easy
I have always found that eating healthy and cutting back on sugary drinks has worked for me. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.