Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Disabled trying to lose weight
na321 posted:
Have Cerebral Palsy and Osteoarthritis use crutches most days sometimes a wheelchair. Need to lose about 30 pounds for pain management and health. Just got a Chair Gym and signed up doe Web MD free online weight loss assist. Question: Does anyone know how many calories can be burned using the the chair gym and a recumbent bike ? I also have a recumbent bike I will be using as well but I have more upper body strength than lower body so I can only do the bike for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time.

PetuniaPea responded:
I know why you're asking...I just tried googling chair gym calories burned...and I got nothing!

A good rule of thumb is that for any kind of light activity (yoga, slowish walking, light ballroom dancing, gardening, etc) burns about 4 calories per minute. Any kind of heavy activity (running, intense aerobics, etc) burns about 10 calories per minute). And any moderate activity is somewhere in between.

I'm going off memory from my Calorie King book, by the way!

Depending on how hard or how leisurely you pedal on the recumbent, I would guestimate you could burn anywhere from 4-8 calories per minute...

Good luck with the weight loss...remember, slow and steady wins the race. Even if it takes you all year to lose the weight...that's a great accomplishment! A few years ago, it took me all year to lose 15-20 pounds...and I've kept it off!

P.S. A great documentary I just saw last month on HBO...was amazing...I was so elated afterwards, it was so sweet to see such good-hearted, amazing girls with so much strength and hopefullness...here's the IMDb page, I'm not surprised that the rating is through the roof...Miss You Can Do It... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2276000/
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.