Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's the Food
brunosbud posted:
I live in California but anyone in a reasonably populated area can perform the following informal test. Go to the following food stores and simply "observe" the customers entering and exiting, specifically, their size...

1. Walmart (American Superstore)
2. Vons (American Grocery)
3. Sprouts or Whole Foods (Natural/Organic)
4. Superior Market (Hispanic)
5. 99 Ranch (Asian Market)
6. Marukai (Japanese)

The results are, ridiculously, obvious. What you eat, your eating style and food preparation determines your size. You're either blind or in deep denial to arrive at any other conclusion...

PetuniaPea responded:
Funny you mention that. I noticed people's sizes around Starbucks...now, I thought coffee was supposed to be a low calorie beverage. I guess if you're having a daily dose of venti caramel frappuccinos, it adds up over time!

Also, went to In and Out once during my husband's vacation because he wanted me to get him a hamburger to go...I'd make baked fries at home (he's skinny, watches what he eats, and only has In and Out once a year, or once every two years--no other "junk" food, or red meat for that matter). As you can tell, he's not a vegan like me! Well, was waiting for the burger and noticed...not one average sized adult! Most were at least overweight, if not obese...and the place was jam packed and busy!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

brunosbud replied to PetuniaPea's response:
I visited a Maraukai Japanese Market, last week, and waited in the the car with the dogs. In 30 mins, I observed not a single person of any age, noticeably, overweight, let alone, obese. Not one!

What's the secret? No secret!
Traditional
Japanese families (especially, older people) eat, mostly, at home. They do very little restaurant dining. They believe it's wasteful spending, plus, it's not fresh!

Am I the only one, here, that watches Chef Gordon Ramsey's, "Kitchen Nightmares"? What's Chef Ramsey's answer for all dysfunctional restaurants? The best meals are simple and fresh; Fresh is Best!

Traditional Japanese families don't read "labels" or use microwave ovens! Chef Ramsey does not read "labels" or use microwave ovens!

They cook and, if it aint fresh, it's not worth eating.
No secret!

PetuniaPea replied to brunosbud's response:
Also, many Japanese practice hara hachi bu, which is to eat until you feel 80% full. But whether it's the Japanese, Koreans, or Chinese, they all eat way smaller portions than here in the U.S. And they have relatively healthier snacks, too. For example, in China/Hong Kong, vendors on the street sell baked sweet potatoes! Everything is fresh, as you say. Food is supposed to rot!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

brunosbud replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Food is supposed to rot! Here's a perfect example of what that means, PetuniaPea

Below, is a list of the "Top 10" items sold in American Grocery stores.

1. Soda
2. Beer and Wine
3. Cereal
4. Frozen Dinners
5. Chips and Snacks
6. Milk and Eggs
7. Peanut Butter and Jelly
8. Processed Meats (Bacon, Sausage, Ham, etc.)
9. Bread
10.Canned foods

Aggressive discounting & "price wars" are waged on all 10 foods, daily, encouraging more purchasing, in bulk, by American consumers. As a country, this is what constitutes, by a wide majority, of what we eat, everyday.

When I look at this list, it confirms what I believe is the biggest reason why 2 out of 3 adults in the US are either overweight or obese. Albeit, many of the "Top 10" are high in calories, obesity is not a calorie issue, imo...

It is an issue of nutrition.

Helpful Tips

sugar subs
I consaltated my allergy cookbook for this one.Alternative sweeteners include :honey,maple syrup,date sugar,fruit ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.