Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Belly Fat
dlwinterdiego posted:
For roughly four years I tried to lose weight and get back to where I felt comfortable and looked good. I'm 66 now, so I think it's fair to say that by their mid-sixties, most men settle into a comfort zone that includes a belly. After the four years of trying, I suddenly started to respond to my diet and slowly lose weight. I was never obese, but I was about 20 lbs. over my desired weight.

Well, here I am. I now weigh my target weight! For the first time in probably twenty years I'm back to where I want to be. Yet, something is wrong. My BMI is 22.8, which is very good. However, my waist-to-height ratio is 0.49. There's nothing wrong with the ratio because I am at a healthy rate, however, I've lost all of the weight I wanted to, but I have about two inches of fat around my belly!

How in the world am I going to get rid of this fat! I need some help with this because I don't sense that exercise will get rid of it. I don't need to drop any more weight either. This is a special kind of fat that I think is left over from the approximate twenty years that I carried around a beer belly. Does anyone have a similar problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel a little stupid focusing on such a small problem, but that's what most people do. I just don't want to look at this fat any longer and I want to put on a belt that hugs my body and not my leftover fat.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.