Skip to content

Announcements

female middle age spread
An_250677 posted:
I can't remove my abdominal 'pouch.' I started to acquire it three years ago. I gave myself a bikini figure for my 50th birthday, which took a lot of exercise, both at the gym and at home. No matter what I do, my 'pouch' gets larger. Doctors don't take it seriously, because I'm not yet considered overweight. I've gained over 15 lbs this year. Something is wrong. I'm afraid I might become obese if this continues. Any ideas?

brunosbud responded:
I wrote a post about digestion and how depending on what you eat, your body can burn several hundred calories a day from the processing and breakdown of food. Another process that burns a lot of calories that people seldom consider?

Ovulation and menstruation.

Late menopause is not uncommon among obese women, since fat is known to produce estrogen. Conversely, when you lose fat ("bikini figure"), it can trigger normal or even early onset menopause. Post menopausal weight gain is well documented. Changes in hormone levels can affect muscle loss and increase fat gain around the abdomen.

22auntiet replied to brunosbud's response:
I'm 5', 6". Even when I was working out to the point where my weight was only 123, I was beginning to develop the pouch. Does this mean that it will stop at menopause?

In other words, I've got to get off my butt every day and work on getting this bikini figure back. Makes sense, I've been menstruating a lot more regularly recently. Do women who take HRT also get obese more often as well?

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.