Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

23 High insulin levels
An_253652 posted:
Im turning 23 this month and just went to the doctor yesterday. We went over my blood work and my vitamin D is low (no biggie) she prescribed me a vitamin. My insulin levels were High. Normal levels is 3-9 mine was 48. So now I have to overhaul my diet. I don't eat a lot at once I snack a lot. Which is good but I don't always eat good things. When I think of what to eat I get sad cause theres nothing. I usually get a sweet tea from McDs everyday or my fiancé makes us some at home. We eat out some too lately its been a fry burger from BK and a small fry to put on it. I have been eating more fruits and veggies. If anyone has tips or ideas on a good lifestyle change. I cant just do a diet because its something I have to fix for life. Its not a huge deal now but it can lead to diabetes later in life. I have also make a fitness and food plan on here.

brunosbud responded:
Do you understand the relationship between high blood insulin levels and high blood sugar levels or "hyperglycemia"? Are you aware of what kinds of foods can cause insulin levels to spike? Do you understand why it's important to keep insulin and blood glucose levels within recommended range? Do you understand the relationship between excess body fat and diabetes? These are things that Type 2 Diabetics must learn and understand so they can "control" this disease. There is no known cure for T2D but you can live a normal life if you control your blood sugar within a normal range, primarily, through diet, exercise and, if needed, diabetes medication.

Ssthomas23 replied to brunosbud's response:
My fianc? is well educated when it comes to diabeties. She had to go through it with her mother. Thanks for the reply although you really didn't say much.

brunosbud replied to Ssthomas23's response:
"...I snack a lot.... I don't always eat good...a sweet tea from McDs everyday..." She wrote this, not me (I'm T2Diabetic). If she's so "well educated on diabetes", what's she doing?

An_253652 replied to brunosbud's response:
I said that yes. I also said my fianc? is well educated. I guess asking others their opinion on here was a mistake. I wanted to know if others had this problem and how they dealt with it. It's sad that these are the replies. I read others on others questions and thought I would get helpful answers, but I guess not. I was asking because knowing about it is good, but it doesn't tell you how to change your lifestyle. I thought maybe someone migh have some hints on substituting foods, good foods to eat, etc. I wasn't asking to have my question examined or my words questioned. Thanks for taking your time out to give an opinion on this although it didn't really help at all.

chamyz replied to An_253652's response:
Best way to lose your weight
Check this out !!
http://tinyurl.com/ndcv38u

brunosbud replied to An_253652's response:
I'm sorry. I accept your slap in the face and I apologize for not helping you; I tried & failed, miserably. That's what a forthright people do when they make mistakes, right. Apologize for their mistakes?

Oh, btw, Who is "Ssthomas23"? Ssthomas23's fiance is you, correct?...All I can say is, it better be.

For people with prediabetes or diabetes, it's vital to eat right and exercise, often. Doctors can't teach what you need to know in 5 minutes and that's all you'll have after they review your test results, discuss treatment options and, finally, prescribe meds...5 minutes, every six months...Diabetes is a very complex disease. Education is the most important step in it's treatment/control and you will not likely get this from any doctor unless your married to one. Here are couple websites that will help a great deal in that department...

http://www.joslin.org/newly-diagnosed.html
http://www.mendosa.com/genl.htm

UCTV has excellent videos on Diabetes...Much to learn!
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=UCTV Diabetes&oq=UCTV Diabetes&gs_l=youtube.12...616.6785.0.8411.13.13.0.0.0.0.330.2934.1j4j5j3.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.sXrTAxD2Rz0

Im not quite sure what you mean about "Who is Ssthomas23? Ssthomas23's fianc? is you, right?" I am Samantha my fianc? is Whitney. I don't know why it has 2 different names on my questions and answers. The only thing I can think of is when I made an account I made the username Ssthomas23, and I posted one as anonymous not really thinking about it. That's probly the reason its like that. What do you mean better be?

brunosbud replied to Ssthomas23's response:
OK. I "see" what the problem is, now. Thank you for that amazing explanation. Good luck and have a nice life...

I mean it. Good luck!

thanks! Im sorry for all the detail when I explain something I have to put every detail. it gets long and annoying sometimes I know lol.

Ssthomas23 replied to chamyz's response:
thanks!

Thanks for the links

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.