Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

evening binges
NextChance posted:
I can manage my eating behavior all day, but, in the evening, in my kitchen, I keep on eating and eating and eating irrationally. I know that I am undoing the benefits of the whole day, but I can't stop. Any advice?

brunosbud responded:
What is it that you're eating and how did it get in your kitchen?

yeppo123 replied to brunosbud's response:
this is the #1 thing I force myself to do - don't buy things you know will cause you to binge and/or tempt you -- especially late at night. instead i try and have a small meall about an hour before bedtime -- usually a bowl of whole grain cereal and skim milk, some unsalted nuts, low fat cheese and crackers with sliced apple, one piece of whole grain toast and peanut butter. Something not too big but enough to it to keep me from craving the candy, chips, pretzels, cookies, and other stuff that would sabotage my weight loss efforts. best of luck!

NextChance responded:
I do bring in many kinds of food, not just what is best for me, but I can't help that, with a husband and kids who don't necessarily need the same things I do.
But, my problem is different. I don't often eat the 'wrong' things. I just can't stop eating the 'right' things, either. I can sit and eat all the cashews. I can eat the leftover meat, which would have been enough for another meal. I can eat that healthy, whole-grain cereal, 3 bowls' worth.
I know that I should stop at a reasonable quantity of any of these. But, I sit and continue.
What cue can I give myself to "stop"?

NextChance replied to yeppo123's response:
This is all good advice, but it's not necessarily the bad foods I binge on. And, I'm not actually hungry, either.
I can keep on eating the apple slices with the healthy peanut butter till the cows come home. Or, the nuts, or the cereal with lo-fat milk, or whatever.
It's not WHAT I eat. It's HOW MUCH I eat during the evening. I can't seem to give myself the 'stop' signal, and make it stick.
I'm looking for one piece of advice about this, and it would make all the difference for me

brunosbud replied to NextChance's response:
Let me just say this. My wife is a "part-time" dog breeder. Occasionally, we'll attend local, beach, "breed" parties to see other dogs. Almost 2 out of every 3 dogs are overweight or obese; some can barely walk. It's heart breaking to watch a beautiful animal in such a pathetic, helpless physical state.

How does this happen when dogs can't even feed themselves?

If you have a dog, you probably feed it "kibble". Being so health conscious, you most likely purchase the "expensive" kind, too. My point is, "healthy" kibble is an oxymoron...And, the problem is, there are millions of dog owners that will never be convinced, otherwise.

If I could convince you that what you think is healthy, is not, then, I could probably convince you that no such "cue" exists. You tell me...Is that possible?

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.