Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Best Alcoholic Beverage Or Cocktail For Weight Watchers
jerich0bryan posted:
Hello everyone. I am a 36 year old guy and my job requires me to do a lot of partying - yes there are jobs like this.

Obviously, at parties, food and alcoholic beverages are unavoidable. But I have sort of a high tendency to gain weight even though I do regularly go to the gym to do cardio workouts and weights. Now, I have learned to be pretty good at controlling my appetite at parties and going more for the salad bar than the other hors d'oeuvres. I have also set a limit to the number of servings of alcoholic drinks I consume at each party, which, for the most part, I am able to follow well.

Which alcoholic beverage or cocktail do you think is the best for a calorie counter like me? I know that many cocktails mix lots of sweetened juices or sodas, so those should be pretty high in calories. Beer is also rich in carbs. In terms of taste, I'm partial to gin, vodka, tequila and brandy. Any suggestions which ones or what mixes are good for someone who is conscious of weight gain? Are there particular brands/labels which are better than others in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

brunosbud responded:
Being a former alcoholic, I have some actual experience. In terms of calories, Vodka was best for me. Absolut. Plus, it's good to drink if you swallow antifreeze, accidentally.

kadunka replied to brunosbud's response:
brunosbud, I must ask...what do you mean by swallowing antifreeze accidently??? I am an Aussie (female) so perhaps I need a little explanation...hehe

kadunka responded:
I absolutely understand your dilemma re the calories in alcohol. As a female I am trying to lose weight and have just started taking Garcinia Cambogia (am not too confident about its possible positive result). I am not excessively overweight but would appreciate losing about 10 kilos (20 plus lbs) but just will not and refuse to give up my daily consumption of 4-5 glasses of wine. Yes, just like you I ask which alcoholic beverage has the least calories.

I recently came across AMSTEL BEER and this particular one has absolutely ZERO SUGAR. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT MANY DIABETICS DRINK IT !!! (it is 4.9 percent alcohol).
I don't like beer but often have a few bottles and yes its quite drinkable.

Heres hoping that we can see a worthwhile answer here soon.

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
The reason weight loss is difficult is because in order to lose weight and maintain weight loss long term, vital organs like heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas, thyroid must be "rehabilitated" back to high efficiency...

This stands to reason because organs are self maintaining, thus, are responsible for eliminating waste by-products from daily metabolic activities. When encased in visceral fat, they can't do its job, properly and this, in turn, weakens the body's immune system. Once this happens, more problems crop up...poor oral hygiene, hormone imbalance, joint pain, digestive or urinary tract disorders, allergies, toxic mold syndrome...

The fact of the matter is, alcohol is a known metabolic "poison". It impairs liver, kidney and brain function.
So, in essence, drinking alcohol (and smoking cigarettes) is not compatible with weight loss.

You're swimming against the tide...Spitting into the wind...You're tugging on Superman's cape...You're reading yesterday's news...You're spinning your wheels...

compoundia responded:
Hi, If you are really conscious about your weight, Avoid Alcohol. and whenever you want to have it take Single Malt Whiskey.

Compoundia Pharmacy

undefined responded:
vodka and water

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
202 of 247 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.