Skip to content

Announcements

High Creatinine Clearance
DGUnruh posted:
I just came from the doc and he says my Creatinine is high. So what can I do in terms of diet and natural remedies to correct the situation, if any. I'm definitely open to valid suggestions and options.

brunosbud responded:
Generally a doctor does not order such a test unless kidney damage &/or failure is suspected. Creatinine in a common metabolic by-product that gets filtered out by the kidneys and removed via urine. The clearance test compares how much creatinine is present in a 24 hour urine sample (1 gal capacity) and how much remains circulating in the blood. A high clearance value suggests either serious kidney damage or advanced kidney disease.

The two most common causes of kidney failure is diabetes and high blood pressure.

Low creatinine clearance may suggest insufficient protein in diet, low muscle development or other muscle related conditions. Certain medications, supplements, vitamins can distort test results. Also, too much meat eaten before the test can cause an error, too.

Search "recommended diet for kidney disease" for suggestions on what to eat. If you need to lose weight, that would be highly recommended, too. Good luck.

DGUnruh replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks for your response

brunosbud replied to DGUnruh's response:
Welcome. Just a brief follow up. I think you're smart in learning as much as you can about proper diet for someone in your present state. The reason why I gave you no specific information is because only your doctor knows the details of your medical history, present "meds" and existing co-morbidities. In other words, please, use caution in taking advice from anyone besides your doctor at this time. Hope this helps and good luck.

Helpful Tips

MOVE Program
If you are a Military Veteran, check out the VA MOVE program. It involved 6 short meetings with lots of information and discussion. I went ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.