Skip to content

Announcements

Avoiding Sugar,Flour and wheat
SusanHappySpringer posted:
I have managed to lose over 70 lbs with the LA Skinny Coach Dr Tiffany Wright.My diet has been one of abstinence from sugar,flour and wheat.It is not a low carb diet and I'm glad to say I get plenty to eat.I heartily recommend the program.

An_254094 responded:
What I personally recommend is to try the diet the original poster mentioned plus several other diets, to see what works for you. I personally lost 88 pounds in 9 months so far simply by watching what I eat, how I move and counting calories. I've had sugar, wheat, bread, ice cream, cheesecake, chips... you mention it I had it.

The trick is to make sure the vast majority of your food is healthy and keep treats just that... a treat every now and then when you really feel like it, and calculate around it to make sure you don't exceed your daily calories.

There were times when I ate "fattening" food every day, and others where I didn't even have a chip for several weeks to a couple of months.

I feel what works best for me is to keep the rules simple and indulge when I feel the need to, otherwise I tend to burn out and quit. This way, I'm able to keep this up for the rest of my life eating healthy 80% of the time and indulging every now and then.

brunosbud responded:
Most people who are overweight or obese who do not have Type 2 Diabetes fail to learn this most valuable dietary lesson...

It's "glucose" that makes us fat, not "sugar" and "Carbs" are simply complex glucose molecules.

"Sugar" ( or sucrose) is just one of hundreds of different forms of "glucose" that we eat, daily. Sugar is a molecule composed of one molecule of glucose and one molecule of "fructose". The only thing you need to know is when you eat it, it gets broken into glucose molecules and, then, your pancreas is off to the races. Whatever glucose is not used by your muscles gets converted, lickity-split, into fat (Glycogen or "rainy-day glucose") by your liver because if excess glucose is continuously allowed to circulate the blood stream, it eventually clogs and destroys fine blood vessels. Too much glucose left unchecked due to lack of "activity", causes kidney failure, heart disease, high blood pressure, fatty liver disease, neuropathy (amputations of the feet and hands) or blindness (diabetic retinopathy) and, yes, "hormone imbalances".

So, in essence, without this beautiful mechanism of converting "glucose" to "glycogen" (ie. fat), anybody that ate the massive amounts of glucose they stuff in their mouths each day would be dead in a short period of time. Thus, becoming fat is our body's way of "saving" our lives...giving us a second chance to make dietary and lifestyle "amends".

LA Skinny Coach is only telling you what every doctor across this country has been telling their overweight patients for the last 20 years. What are other the danger foods besides "sugar" that gets converted to "glucose"? Here's some cool examples:
  • Maltose. Ever here the term "beer belly"? Maltose is the main form of sugar in beer, cereal, pasta.
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup. Main reason why soda (and condiments and salad dressings) ruins our day.
  • Starch. Starch is a long chain glucose molecule that gets converted into glucose once digested and the primary reason for the Type 2 Diabetes epidemic.. Starch is in all "white" foods. All the pastas, all white breads, white rice, pastries, cakes, cookies and doughnuts, tortillas & of course, white potatoes...fries, potato chips, gnocchi, mashed potatoes.
  • Lactose. Since the 60's, the presence of lactose has exploded in foods, primarily of this type. I'll give you a hint: It says "Moooooooo", a lot.
  • "Carbs". Sugars and starches. Bread, pasta, beans, potatoes, bran, rice and cereals are carbohydrate-rich foods.
So, hopefully, you can begin to see why Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes fit together like hand in glove. It also explains why high blood pressure and Type 2 Diabetes (therefore, Obesity) are common bedfellows. (note: the most common causes of kidney failure in America is High Blood Pressure & Diabetes) To me, it becomes rather obvious which foods to avoid once you understand the concept of "glucose". Just ask any diabetic the importance of reducing "carbs" in their diet and, if they fail to be diligent, how easy it is to wind up in the ER.

Once one becomes understanding of the sources of blood "glucose" in food and how dangerous and deadly it can be to ignore proper diet, you'll have a very good chance of losing weight.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.