Skip to content

Announcements

Losing Weight and hypothyroism
An_254231 posted:
HELP! For the past 4 month I have been seeing doctors about my thyroid. They first told me that I hyperthyroidism (I thought I was going crazy and gaining weight) and now my results show hypothyroidism! I have been gaining weight and I have been exercising and cutting back on my calorie intake and still I'm gaining weight. The doctor now tells me that they want to wait 4-6 more weeks for another blood work up and see what that says. I can't handle this anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions?

flairworks responded:
Oh yeah been there done that my hypothyroidism turned out to be Hoshimotos disease which is the immune system attacking the thyroid I ended up stopping the tests and taking vitamin b for energy and nibbling and nibbling on veggie snacks, low cal dressing salads, small portions of lean meats, and trail mix and drinking lots a water all day long never never going hungry and doing short easy exercises 10 minutes three times a day lost 30 lbs and looked great.

Now gotta start all over again cause that was five years ago and i gained twenty lbs by going back to not exercising at all and eating whatever yikes. still got thyroid problems though.

But do exercise only in small increments thru out the day check out the facts on that by googling it! And do lots of healthy nibbling watch the calories and finish the testing by having your thyroid hormone level checked if ya can stand it.

irishellen51 replied to flairworks's response:
I just found out today I have Hashimotos disease. I have gained so much weight, I am now pre diabetic. My last Endcocrinologist just wanted to put me on meds to reduce my sugar, ignoring the thyroid. I started seeing another Endro, he did an ultrasound and found I have a goiter with one or two nodules. He had a needle biopsy done, the nodules are benign, but I have Hashimotos disease. He uped my meds, I am supposed to go back after the first of the year with hopefully more positive results. I find it very annoying that most doctors just want to take the easy way out and write a script. They just want to treat the symptoms and not the problem.

brunosbud replied to irishellen51's response:
Once you go from, here...
http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/95/8/3614.full

...Then, you read, this...
http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/v18n12000/pg38.htm

Then, maybe, you may come to realize, just who is taking the easy way out and who is not.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.