Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

obesity epidemic
An_254253 posted:
I am a retired school teacher with thyroid disease, advanced osteoarthritis and have fought weight problems my entire life. The only relief I've had is using hca which is no longer available in NC. First, we need to remove high fructose corn syrup from all food products. We need to tax high sugar, high fat products just like we do alcohol. They cause as much damage, if not more. 20 yrs ago a grocery store was about 60/40 ratio of fresh vs. prepared foods. Now, in my area, it's about 90/10. I grow many of our foods organically in raised beds, small children's wading pools and 5 gal. buckets. It is very possible for anyone to do this. At one pt., in lived in suburban Charlotte, NC and had a 6 x8 patio as my only resource. The want to change must be there. Educating children in schools, giving them healthy choices, and increasing individual as well as team sports activities. Good health mentors are needed. Then, hold them and their parents accountable through increased insurance rates and required coaching help. Doctors must be more accessible for people with weight problems. Early, it is a health difficulty; with time, it develops into a disease. The problem must be addressed early.

brunosbud responded:
Question: What specifically needs to be taught to children and how effective can "education" be if instructed principals are not observed and practiced at home.

Question: How can there be a fat tax/incentives without being riddled with "loopholes"? For example, hypothyroidism, psychotropic medications, comorbidities, congenital diseases, air pollution, etc...ie. The scientific community has, yet, to clearly establish if Obesity caused these conditions or are the result of them.

One thing is clear. Epidemics exist and thrive when there are insufficient incentives to stop them. It's clear that individuals struggle to treat Obesity on their own. It's also clear that government cannot create effective legislation without a clearly accepted and effective process that works. Too many people in this country (and in this community) are convinced that proper diet and exercise don't work.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
272 of 337 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.