Skip to content

Announcements

Acacia for treatment of severe constipation IBS
grampa66 posted:
I'm writing on behalf of my 86 year old mother. She has suffered constipation IBS for decades and which is getting increasingly debilitating.

Her current daily regimen includes 5 tablespoons of acacia in water, split over each of her 3 meals per day. She has used acacia for years and upped her intake to 5 tablespoons about 2 years ago at the advice of the website which supplies her acacia. I question the veracity of any advice from this site, especially since that site's individual is NOT an MD and has been sited as a fraud.

Mom has lost over 20 pounds, is now below 100 pounds and is 5'3". She has loss of balance, increasingly foggy thought process, excessive fatigue and a complete loss of appetite.

Many sites state acacia's main use is for appetite suppression and weight loss. These sites also list side effects of gas and bloating - my mother's main complaints.

Other sites state just the opposite. I am at a loss. My mother seems to be starving to death in front of my eyes.

Someone PLEASE HELP!

Gramp66

brunosbud responded:
How often does she walk a day? I'm not talking exercise, mind you. I'm just talking brief, 5-10 minute, strolls. In other words, does she get out of that chair?

grampa66 replied to brunosbud's response:
She walks only to go to the bathroom, kitchen, or to get in the car when I take her to her various doctor appointments.

She's a lifelong sufferer of arthritis, had arthroscopic surgery in her left knee 6 years ago which is now painful again and requires the use of a cane.

On top of all that, she suffered a compression stress fracture of the spine 2 months ago. The brace she wears barely allows her to breath, much less go for a walkabout.

Combine all this with her lack of balance and walking is severely limited.

But please stay on point - Is her daily intake of 5 Tbsp of acacia the base cause of her appetite and weight loss???

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.