Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Working from home
An_256291 posted:
Last May I started working from home and I love it, but I find myself snacking a lot more (even when I'm not necessarily hungry) and have gained 10 pounds. Anyone else work from home or at an office that has tons of food to enjoy that can give me any pointers?

atti_editor responded:
Hello and thank you for posting!

It can definitely be challenging when you are surrounded by delicious looking food all of the time, or to try to stop yourself from reaching for a snack when you are bored, stressed, or otherwise snacking when you aren't really hungry. Whenever I feel the boredom or stress munchies coming on, I try to get up and walk around for a few minutes. Sometimes a quick walk around the office, your house or outside can redirect your thoughts so that you no longer crave that sweet or salty snack. You might also try drinking a glass of water. Keeping a food diary might also help you to cut down on unnecessary snacking -- if you are able to see what you are eating and why (maybe you write the you were stressed or that you ate __ but weren't hungry) you can start to identify what causes your snacking and come up with a plan to avoid it.

Filling your pantry with healthy snacks (fruits, vegetables, hummus, etc) could also help you avoid weight gain -- snacking throughout the day (as long as long as it isn't mindless snacking and is in recommended portion sizes) is actually a good thing.

Here are some smart-snacking tips from our experts that you might find helpful.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
273 of 338 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.