Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Does past drug/diet pill abuse affect your metabolism in the future?
christacharm posted:
I am currently 38 years old and about 60 lbs overweight. I've always struggled with my weight but I've never been as heavy as I am now. In the past, I could always lose some weight with diet pills. I severely abused phentermine for a couple of years. I lost a ton of weight and everyone said I looked great. Little did they know that I barely slept, was agitated all the time with a near constant headache and racing heartbeat. I also did some "party" drugs like ecstasy and cocaine and such like. I finally decided to stop all that mess and I've been clean of all of it for about 7 years (except alcohol). Without the drugs and including a herniated disc in my spine, I gained the weight back and then some.

Now, I'm working with a fitness trainer and trying to lose weight the right way. I'm eating right, working out 6 days a week and drinking enough water to make me want to move my desk at work into the bathroom! But it's very slow going. I'm working so hard (for 4 weeks now) and I've only lost 5 lbs.

Is it possible that all the past abuse of my body is affecting me now? Does my metabolism not work right because I messed it all up with drugs? I'm trying not to get discouraged but I don't know how to make this go faster! My trainer said I just have to stay focused and it will happen. We've discussed my past pills/drugs and she's not sure if that has any long term effects of slowing my weight loss now.

Any advice? Thanks!
CC

brunosbud responded:
Congratulations on trying to lose weight the "right way". The "right way" has numerous benefits, weight loss being just one.

For example, plenty of rest and an active lifestyle promote relaxation and emotional balance, two of the best things you can do to reduce stress and anxiety. Obsessing about lack of weight loss runs counter-current to the "right way" in almost every way!

In many respects, the problem of insomnia is very similar to weight loss (and, significantly contributes to uncontrolled weight gain and other serious lifestyle diseases). Everyone knows someone who has difficulties sleeping. These people are, usually, in very bad shape. One of the contributing causes for insomnia is developing a fear and anxiety of going to sleep. Insomniacs dread bedtime. They obsess over their need for sleep. They know their bodies are being methodically destroyed by lack of sleep. And, it's this type of thinking, the obsessing, that drives them to sleeping pill addiction. How do you explain to someone who can't sleep that the best treatment is to "focus on the process" and stop obsessing about sleep? You don't!...You can't! Some things people just have to learn for themselves.

diytestkitsdotcom responded:
Good for you! Taking the easy route in losing weight is not a very wise idea. So, your decision to do it right is your first step towards better health.

Using diet pills or products will more than likely do you more harm than good, for one it will definitely have some kind of side-effects. Also, some may even contain elements that could actually be harmful to your health. Plus, they would only work during continuous use, but once you stop the effect can reverse.

You worry that, since you once tried "party drugs" before that it might have left long term effects. How abusive were you with regards to use? If you had done it only for a few times, then there will probably be no such scare to expect, especially because you have stayed clean for 7 years now. And also, you are doing your best to be more fit.

Be patient. You are just starting out, expect to have it rough for a while. Keep in mind your goal of wanting to be healthier. But, if you really want to up the scales, you can also get the help of a nutritionist who could give you tips on the right diet that will work best for you.

Keep up the good work. Goodluck!

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.